SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-01-21, 07:59 PM   #1
CheGuevara

Default Garage Storage Ideas

Just wondering what clever ideas others might have for motorcycle-related stuff in the garage. I'm tired of tripping over stands and before I just chuck a few more hooks on the wall...

Also have a couple sets of t-handled socket wrenches that tend to lay about on my bench because I haven't got a decent way to organise/store them.

Of course any other solutions you're particularly proud of are welcome as well. Sometimes you don't spot the problem until you've seen the solution. ��
CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-21, 08:20 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Garage Storage Ideas

i have a couple of upright storage racks from Screwfix. They're 2m high, about 1M wide (i think) and 50cm deep. Great for storing my luggage when its not in use, plus some camping gear, cycling stuff etc. Only about £20 too and have a decent weight limit.
I have a rollable tool cart which goes under my workbench (using what would be dead space otherwise).

Link to rack

BMW F800ST

Last edited by DJ123; 27-01-21 at 08:22 PM.
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-21, 08:42 PM   #3
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Magnetic tool rails on the walls are good. Tool board. Two work benches I built. My problem is the garage is too full to work on anything in there.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-21, 10:37 AM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

I have a new concrete garage and the warranty is invalidated if you drill into the walls for shelving brackets. The wall panels are held together by M6 bolts so I bought some nautical "eye" nuts and strung chains between them. I then made custom hooks from metal coat hangers to hang my Abbastand and accessories, hose reel, foot pump etc.
Old 28-01-21, 09:25 PM   #5
keith_d
Mega Poster

I'm still thinking about sorting out my garage. If I ever get around to it I'm planning to build some storage using kitchen units. The carcasses of 18mm kitchen units are cheap and it's easy to get drawers that fit. The fancy kitchen doors are expensive but I don't need them for the garage. Budget doors will be fine.

I'd make a few changes though.

1) replace the feeble plastic feet with a couple of 4x2 beams laid under the units to support them. That way they'll be able to take heavy tools on the bottom shelf.

2) assemble the units with polyurethane glue because the usual dowel and cam joints aren't strong enough for heavy use. Unfortunately, PVA (white wood glue) and urea-formaldehyde (Cascamite) don't adhere well to melamine, so it has to be polyurethane.

3) replace the bottoms of the deep drawers with something stronger than cheap hardboard. Maybe some 7mm plywood with the edges machined to fit into the drawer slots.

4) buy a couple of rolls of the grippy pvc mesh used in caravans and boats to stop small tools sliding around in the shallow drawers.

Anything I have missed??

Keith.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote