SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-12-21, 09:01 PM   #1
embee
Mega Poster

Default Mobile phone, which way forward?

Seeking advice/opinions from the org ..........
I'm a pretty low mobile user, my old MotoG (bought outright, cheap SIM monthly deal) is now always out of memory, can't update or load apps etc, general advice I've had is get a new one.
My feeling to avoid getting into the same situation is monthly phone+SIM contract, maybe a Samsung A52s 5G?? The S21 is the current flagship but as far as I can see the A52s is pretty near in spec and I can get something useful for around £20/month from various places, feels a nice cost/benefit balance to me. Lower spec alternatives can be had for £15 or so, but I don't mind the extra £5 if it means a bit more future proofing (128Gb etc).
Outright purchase prices are high and you're stuck with it, monthly seems a better solution for that amount.
I've never been into Apple stuff, no real desire to unless really persuaded, but it looks an expensive route to me. Also I like the external memory card option (music/photos) with other makes.

Any views? I want simple solutions, not into complicated routes. Ta.
Old 14-12-21, 09:04 PM   #2
Kenzie

Default Re: Mobile phone, which way forward?

I've had Sony Xperias for my last two phones and they have been great (Xperia T and X Compact) I can't get on with the larger 6 in plus phones. I've been reading the specs on the new Nokia stuff and they seem decent. It's a shame they stuck with their own software back in the day and didn't adopt Android. Their phones were some of the best around. I actually miss my Nokia N8.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-21, 09:38 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

i got an OPPO A5 its superb, dont believe the reviews. i then got a VOXI 12g data sim for £10 (month DD cancel at any time) which includes free calls and txt. its dual sim but only 4g. the newer ones are 5g. dual sim is just superb as no more network black spots.

one thing the OPPO does very well is its sound quality and it blows all previous portable media players i have had (some very expensive) out the water.

i dont believe in trendy stuff and tbh the oppo is far better than my mates galaxy and apple.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-21, 10:25 PM   #4
redtrummy

I have got a Moto G - use it as a back up or when I did go skiing, just to make calls. Its small neat size, is good for slipping in a shirt pocket, but yes it runs no apps much at all now.
Main phone is a Redmi Note 9 bought outright with good memory and a decent Camera. Just signed up for a monthly contract for £5 after using PAYG for years, (3 wacked up their price) so i have unlimited calls and texts and 3gb limit. Average life of a phone is expected to be 3 yrs, so I reckon over 3 years + I should be quids in. Its quite a big phone but I can read the screen on my push bike which became impossible on the G.

Chinese phones appear good value for money, just be sure the Android loaded is not a Chinese variant!

I too am a very light user.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-21, 01:17 PM   #5
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Wife and son have Samsung, easy to use and camera is v. good. They're a bit weird in that they both just changed them, my son now has a lower spec one than his old one. Let's say an A30 instead of the A50 and the camera is better as that's what the model focus is.

The rest of her family have i-phone (my work on is) and the sung is better.

Mum has Hewawii (however you spell it) bit naff even for her, not very intuitive.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote