SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-04-09, 07:14 PM   #81
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: TPS Mod Step-by-Step Pictorial Guide

Mine was changing at about 4.5k rpm. I wouldn't say it is a huge difference but definitely worth while doing. When I'm riding at crawling pace and come off the throttle it doesn't try to spit me off the front now. And it does feel generally smoother.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-09, 08:50 PM   #82
Specialone

Excuse my ignorance,
Does this mod / adjustment remove the delay of the throttle.
Mine does nothing then a lot resulting in a little jerkiness which i normally lose with better control of the clutch / rear brake at low speeds in first gear.
Does it improve 2nd, 3rd gear smothness at low speeds instead of juddering due to lack of throttle?
Also i havent even done the 650 miles yet for its 1st service so will it affect my warranty as i would be tinkering.
Old 27-04-09, 02:05 AM   #83
Bibio
Mega Poster

it removes some of the jerkyness at low speed (e.g. going round mini roundabouts) but not all.

no it wont remove the juddering due to lack of throttle.. if your bike is juddering due to lack of revs, move down a gear so as to raise the revs... you are labouring the engine..

dont do it till after the first service...

dont know about warranty issue... but i would guess not...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-09, 08:12 PM   #84
AZ Pete

Just for information. If you are going to change the cheezy security torx fasteners with hex head cap screws, I found that the 16mm length was a better fit on my '06. The 20mm length were a bit long, and not knowing what the extra length would contact on the bottom screw, I cut some 20mm screws down to match the length of the original screws. I later found some 5mm, .80, 16mm screws that are a good replacement for the originals.
Old 03-05-09, 12:53 AM   #85
Zen Beetle

The TPS on my K7 looks different in that it appears to have only one security torx screw holding it in place. I assume I just need to undue this screw with the 25 security torx bit and move it slightly in order to adjust the TPS setting. As there is no bottom screw to loosen, this should in theory make it easier to adjust the TPS.

One thing that has me perplexed is that my K7 appears to have no throttle stop screw. Apparently K7 + models have an ISC (idle speed control system). Does anybody know whether the idle speed can be adjusted on the ISC? If yes, where can it be found and how can it be adjusted?
Old 03-05-09, 01:35 AM   #86
Bibio
Mega Poster

The TPS on my K7 looks different in that it appears to have only one security torx screw holding it in place. I assume I just need to undue this screw with the 25 security torx bit and move it slightly in order to adjust the TPS setting. As there is no bottom screw to loosen, this should in theory make it easier to adjust the TPS.

Yes its only got one bolt. adjust the bottom TPS on the throttle body. dont touch the top one. if you can replace the torx bolt, coz there made of cheese.

One thing that has me perplexed is that my K7 appears to have no throttle stop screw. Apparently K7 + models have an ISC (idle speed control system). Does anybody know whether the idle speed can be adjusted on the ISC? If yes, where can it be found and how can it be adjusted?

Funny you should mention this... i haven't found one yet but my bike always seems to tick over at correct speed..
Old 03-05-09, 01:57 AM   #87
Zen Beetle

What do you mean by "adjust the bottom TPS on the throttle body, don't touch the top one.?" There's only one TPS as far as I can see.

I suspect that the reason your bike always ticks over at the correct speed is because the ISC is controlled by the ECU. There is no throttle stop screw as in earlier K models.
Old 03-05-09, 02:10 AM   #88
Zen Beetle

Thanks Bibio. Will have another look tomorrow to see if I can find the bottom TPS.
Old 03-05-09, 04:10 PM   #89
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Beetle View Post
What do you mean by "adjust the bottom TPS on the throttle body, don't touch the top one.?" There's only one TPS as far as I can see.

I suspect that the reason your bike always ticks over at the correct speed is because the ISC is controlled by the ECU. There is no throttle stop screw as in earlier K models.
there are 2 identical sensors on the throttle body the top one is SecondryTPS the bottom one is TPS...
Old 03-05-09, 04:42 PM   #90
Zen Beetle

Found it! Attached is a pic which I hope will help as a useful visual reference to the K7 TPS setup. My bike is running perfectly so no need to adjust the TPS. Just thought I would acquaint myself with the TPS setup for when it does need doing i.e. I will check it at the 7500 mile service. Once again, thanks to all for an excellent thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K7 TPS.jpg (95.0 KB, 56 views)