SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 20-07-09, 10:20 AM   #1
Springbokki

Unhappy Up to Scotland... maybe!

Hey,

Me and a friend are looking at a "tour", he suggested Europe (thru parts of France, Belgium, Germany, and back), but I'm thinking of Scotland (yeah I realise there's a huge difference!).
To the point, dont have a big budget, and he's wanting to head off on Saturday, so not enough time to get everything sorted for Europe, having sprung this on me yesterday.

Any suggestions of routes, campsites, etc in Scotland,and on the way up. First tour, so being somewhere where they speak English works for me!

Plus if anyone fancies tagging along feel free, tho I ain't planning anything too adventurous mind! You'll have to bring your own tent.
Old 20-07-09, 10:53 AM   #2
Kilted Ginger

Default Re: Up to Scotland... maybe!

There are so many good roads up here, it really depends on what you are looking for.
is it a riding tour, or a sight seeing tour on bikes, do you want short runs with places to stop and visit for a while or do you wand long chalanging days in the saddle with tea and fag breaks.
is it a 2 say tour or a week?

Here is a very rough route, including;
moffat road, dukes pass, military road, wibbly wobbly, rest n be thankful, road to the isles, kinlkochleven loop, skye, dunnet point, loch ness, sma gleen, glenshee, ........
you get the idea.
Old 20-07-09, 12:23 PM   #3
Springbokki

Cheers for the route idea there Kilted Ginger, very helpful!

Not entirely sure, but imagine mainly in the saddle, but with a good measure of sight seeing thrown in.

Have any suggestions for campsites?

Ta, Bokki
Old 20-07-09, 01:41 PM   #4
hovis

you may get more response if you post in the right section.
Old 20-07-09, 01:48 PM   #5
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbokki View Post
and he's wanting to head off on Saturday, so not enough time to get everything sorted for Europe, having sprung this on me yesterday.
Don't write this off just yet, a quick phone call to your bike insurer will square cover while away. Breakdown cover and travel insurance (you may already have this, not being a native?) can be arranged in a couple of hours on-line. Jump on bike and go to the channel tunnel and just ride on to the next train....

Make the decision on where to go based on what you want to do, the logistics can be sorted easily enough
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-09, 02:24 PM   #6
Quedos

Posted a link in SV ecosse to help you get some answer re the scottish query.

as for Europe - get insurance sorted grab the ferry or train and work out everything else when yo get there. Its like a big game of left or right
Old 20-07-09, 02:32 PM   #7
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Use KG's suggestion as a base, then meander your way around Scotland as you see fit. Someone posted ages ago on the Ecosse forum that Scotland gets really really nice anywhere 20mins North or West of Glasgow Airport - this is in fact, true!

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote