SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-02-09, 08:25 PM   #1
Phaelok

Default Choke cable renewal

Gonna attempt choke cable removal and installation with a friend as my choke seems to be stuck on.

Ive looked over it in the haynes, and im still intimidated by the job at hand... From pulling the cable out - its just a cable end inserted into the carbs? Does this cable end push something inside?

Im worried about removing the front carb and sorta 'twisting' it around in order to gain access to the plunger screw.

Is this a difficult job? Is it best left to a mechanic? Im at an end as to putting my bike in a garage, really cant afford it right now!

Ideally if anyone has pics, would really appreciate some help!
Old 12-02-09, 08:44 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Choke cable renewal

Its not difficult, its just awkward to get at the plunger screws. Make sure you have all the right tools to hand before you start.

You might find it easier to take the carbs off to get at the choke plunger screws, getting those out might be the hardest bit, it was on my SV when I fited a new choke cable.

Be careful with the screw heads on the choke plunger screws, they are quite soft and round off easily, you may well end up cutting a slot in them and using a big flat bladed screwdriver...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 08:48 PM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelok View Post
Gonna attempt choke cable removal and installation with a friend as my choke seems to be stuck on.

Ive looked over it in the haynes, and im still intimidated by the job at hand... From pulling the cable out - its just a cable end inserted into the carbs? Does this cable end push something inside?

Im worried about removing the front carb and sorta 'twisting' it around in order to gain access to the plunger screw.

Is this a difficult job? Is it best left to a mechanic? Im at an end as to putting my bike in a garage, really cant afford it right now!

Ideally if anyone has pics, would really appreciate some help!
It probably int your cable, clean and grease the plungers and spray penetrant then white grease down the cable.
Old 12-02-09, 08:54 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
It probably int your cable, clean and grease the plungers and spray penetrant then white grease down the cable.
But if you're taking it apart to that level, IIRC from when I did mine you have to disconnect the cable to get the plungers out and you might as well fit a new cable whilst you've got it apart, my cable was rusty and corroded when I took it off, especially at the splitter box.

Tip - when you fit the new cable fill the splitter up with grease it'll stop the water running down the cable and rusting it up again.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 09:03 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
But if you're taking it apart to that level, IIRC from when I did mine you have to disconnect the cable to get the plungers out and you might as well fit a new cable whilst you've got it apart, my cable was rusty and corroded when I took it off, especially at the splitter box.

Tip - when you fit the new cable fill the splitter up with grease it'll stop the water running down the cable and rusting it up again.
Nah u don't need to undo it...Or I didn't. And yeah fill the splitter up.
Old 12-02-09, 10:39 PM   #6
petevtwin650

Thought i had a load of pics of me changing mine, but i haven't. must've got fed up or maybe my hands got too dirty.

This is a pic of the front choke and splitter. I had already changed my crosshead screw to an Allen bolt. if you're really lucky, a previous owner may have done that too. I think you may need a long long crosshead screwdriver to get at the front carb to cylinder head rubber hose clip.

Old 12-02-09, 10:46 PM   #7
husky03
Mega Poster

Great idea that pete-think i'll be changing mine over for allen bolt
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 10:50 PM   #8
petevtwin650

I was lucky Husky, my Factorypro dynojet kit came with replacement allen bolts for the chokes and float bowls. There were also some for the tops, but looking at that pic I can't have changed them
Old 13-02-09, 11:27 AM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc7uyMs-YtQ

Did that for someone a while ago, may help. Everything else seems about covered.

Bolt is M5x15 IIRC, but measure the stock one first naturally