SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-11-06, 10:46 PM   #1
jimmy4237

Default Bike on a Chep pallet for lorry transport

Dilema time - need to put a bike onto a lorry trailer, and take it up North to Aberdeen. Reasons being I've an IT job to do in Inverness, and Aberdeen is only 100 miles away over the mountains.

1) Do I drive up with a lorry load of stuff as per normal (to Aberdeen), then go back down to Glasgow? Then get a few hours kip then drive my car 180 miles in the dark from Glasgow to Inverness?? I'd be knacked and probably sleep in a layby during the night.

or

2) Put the bike onto a custom pallet, strap it down tight, and load it as cargo onto the trailer. Then drive to Aberdeen on Friday during the day, and get another of the boys to take my lorry back down the road to Glasgow. That would leave me plenty of time to unload the trailer, unstrap the bike, and go to Inverness for a weekend IT job, and ride back home to Glasgow on Sunday night??

I'd need to build a seriously strong pallet and frame to take a bike plus ratchet straps though....