SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-02-07, 01:03 AM   #1
heros

Default Cleaning front pipe

What would people recommend to clean the front exhaust pipe? mines looking abit nasty
Old 05-02-07, 08:39 AM   #2
diamond

Is it this bad

This will come up lovely with a bit of a wash and some autosol...........I hope.
Old 05-02-07, 08:41 AM   #3
Viper

Old 05-02-07, 08:46 AM   #4
krhall

Blimey - mines not that bad but it does need cleaning - i'm not even sure what colour it is supposed to be.

Someone recommended Comma Alloy Cleaner? What is autosol?

Also what is best for cleaning the wheels? I wash my bike weekly but week on week there is more dirt sticking to the wheels which won't come off with just water. If it were my car I would use my trusty Auto Glym 'Clean Wheels', but I'm not too sure about the bike don't wany to break anything.

Any other cleaning/waxing tips on the bike would be appreciated, as I'm new to biking I've stuck to just soap and water.

Kev
Old 05-02-07, 11:22 AM   #5
Law

Autosol is metal polish, for that shiny downpipe look.

There are better examples of shiny downpipes, kwak zzr springs to mind.

I just use autoglym shampoo and water on wheels, had to use a bit of chain cleaner/degreaser when I used to get fling from chain lube (I now use dry lube but I'm a bit stupid and don't know where I've lubed, so my chain is in a terrible rusty state).

After you've given it a wash, dry the bike off with a microfibre cloth then wax, and wash it after every ride!!
Old 05-02-07, 11:35 AM   #6
krhall

After every ride????

I wash it every week, as its main job is a commuting tool and by the time I get home it is normally dark.

It should be o.k once a week shouldn't it?

Can I clean all of the exhaust with that autosol stuff?
Old 05-02-07, 11:37 AM   #7
New Leaf

Jesus - that pipe is a disgrace.

However, u can have it gleaming in little over an hour. Here's what to do.

1. Give it a quick rub with 400 wet and dry. (only 5 mins worth to take off the crusty bits.)
2. Work your way up to 600, 800, 1000 etc to remove any scratches u made. Don't go too mad here - 5 mins max.
3. Then reach for the autosol. You can spend hours with a rag wrapped round the pipe kinda pulling it backwards and forwards. Or u can get a polishing mop for your drill and have it gleaming in half an hour.

That's it really. My pipe was as bad as yours and now its like new, after a couple of hours work.

I've tried some really expensive polishing mops for my drill, but the thing that works best is a fake wool bonnet that fits over a rubber disk on an arbor. cost about £5 from my local wilkinsons.
Old 05-02-07, 11:49 AM   #8
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Leaf
Jesus - that pipe is a disgrace.
Hey, I didn't think mine was that bad!

Maybe after every ride is a bit too over zealous, but you should at least give it a quick rinse to get rid of any road salt. Coat it in ACF-50 after a good wash and then you have a barrier against corrosion so you don't have to clean it til Spring.

As for Autosol, Kwak ZZR is the expert.
Old 05-02-07, 12:00 PM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Whats the point with the downpipe it just gets dirty again, I'd rather spend my time riding my bike than cleaning it.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-07, 12:34 PM   #10
kwak zzr