SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-10-09, 11:00 PM   #1
Mallet43

Default Cut Out / Hazard Warning Lights

Need your help please.

Riding back from Sainsbury's after a petrol stop I went up the dual carriageway happily enough round the roundabout and opened the throttle. Got to a decent speed and went to change up into sixth when the bike made a funny noise, the hazard warning lights came on automatically and I couldn't seem to get any gear

As I wasn't sure what was going on I pulled the clutch in and coasted to a stop. Was then able to select first and rode home steadily.

Although I'm 99% sure I changed up instead of down (trying to find any reason why it happened) I'm pretty sure I was close to the redline.

Anyone got any ideas why the hazards came on, etc?

Thanks
Old 15-10-09, 02:12 PM   #2
eidenm

Default Re: Cut Out / Hazard Warning Lights

I've never heard of anything like that before. What kind of noise did it make?

On a probably unrelated note, sometimes when I select 6th gear while casually riding it'll find a sort of neutral instead of the gear and requires another up shift to go in. Never seems to happen when accelerating before changing - only when at a steady speed. Guess the gearbox prefers more revs when changing up. I've got used to this now though (doesn't happen that often) and can feel when the gear hasn't engaged before releasing the clutch.

If you couldn't select a gear after it happened though and the hazards came on by themselves (didn't know they could) then that's something else...
Old 29-10-09, 02:01 PM   #3
Mallet43

Default Re: Cut Out / Hazard Warning Lights

Sorry for not getting back to your reply earlier - rubbish time at work. Thank god for the bike!!

Not had a problem with it since so maybe I did just come up with a false neutral and/or some water in the alarm but I've never had a problem with either before.

Will keep a close eye on it but, as I said, no reaction since when riding carefully or a bit more forcefully.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Mallet43; 02-11-09 at 01:51 PM.