SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-11-09, 08:56 AM   #1
krhall

Default Bike Parking - Car Parks?

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=142799

Following on from the above thread, I am interested to know if there are any rules, regulations or laws surrounding the provision of this.

Basically in our car park at work there is absolutely no provision for bike parking even though the car park is rarely more than 75% full.

I used to park my bike out of sight and not actually on the car park, until some sod tried to nick it and fubar'd the front disc (£180 thanks a lot). So from that point on I parked it outside my window in a car bay.

Some bikes do park in between bays where there are trees and so a car is unable to park. Not only are these bays just wide enough for a bike, but the tarmac in them is generally broken up and uneven due to the roots of the trees.
Also I once witnessed an old CB500 get blown over even though it was on its centre stand and hit the car next to it, due to the lack of space.

Fortunately I get on well with the Head of Security and we've agreed that unless the car park is due to be full, then I can use the full car space.

However I would be interested to know if there are any rules/regs, as I am regularly asked to move the bike by "jobsworth" security guards.
Old 23-11-09, 02:32 PM   #2
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike Parking - Car Parks??

No rules, no regs as far as I am aware. You pay your road tax like every one else. However if it is a private car park the owners can do what they like.

I personally would park in a car parking space even on days when it is due to be full. If they don't like it ask where you would like you to move it to, if they can provide somewhere leave it be.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-09, 02:40 PM   #3
wow

Not the answer you're looking for but there are parking standards for new developments (buildings) to include motorcycle parking. These are drawn up by county councils (if you're not unitary) in liaison with district councils. Should be on their website.
Old 23-11-09, 03:12 PM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

Bikes are definitely the poor relation when it comes to workplace parking. My last offices there were 4 of us who had pre allocated parking that were bikers, we would put our bikes in our spaces. We used to leave chains padlocked to the signs with our names on.

At my new office, again there is no bike parking spaces but every so often there are barriers that have hatched areas in front. Just crying out for parking on. Fortunately though whilst this place is on the edge of a city, the car park is "secure" in that it is walled with permanent security guards on the gates.

As others have said, new builds do have bike and cycle parking guidelines. But for existing developments you get what the landlord gives
Old 23-11-09, 05:09 PM   #5
sunshine

from my understanding its one bike per bay-no need to pay and display if its a pay and display car park. they cant stop you parking in a bay as its then into discrimination against bikers which is a lot of fun in the courts. the pay and display is a matter of saying, "i did, didnt you see it on my screen, must of got nicked - thats a shame and i cant stop that."
Old 24-11-09, 07:14 AM   #6
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike Parking - Car Parks?

We had a bit of an issue at work where as usual they had moved in another office full of workers without thinking about all the extra cars that needed to park. To get round it several of us bought in bikes and parked them up against the building line where they were well out of the way and safe. Oh no, can't do that says Mr. Health And Safety man, that contravenes the fire rules which says vehicles mustn't be parked near the office...
OK so we all park in a bay, one bike in the middle of each bay soon got their attention as it did nothing to improve the parking situation which led to a little negotiating and we ended up with a dedicated bike spot that they even put a roof on!

The point being talk to your employer and you will usually find someone somewhere that wants to be able to tick a box in their portfolio marked "problem solving" and they will be able to help. Does help if there is more than just one of you though. Incidentally your head of security can't stop you parking in a full car space, your entitled to park your vehicle. It just doesn't endear you to your colleagues when you do.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-09, 08:43 AM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike Parking - Car Parks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Incidentally your head of security can't stop you parking in a full car space, your entitled to park your vehicle. It just doesn't endear you to your colleagues when you do.
Eh. Our security guys have been known to hit people with bans from the car parks/site etc. Same when I worked for Leyland etc. Most companies have rules for the car parks and if you transgress you don't get to use them. Normally speeding, but poor parking etc can all incur the wrath of those who want to wear a uniform