SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-12-13, 11:11 PM   #1
Mr wilson

Default GSXR front end fitted.

Here's the story of this winters leisure activity. Started with an 05 pointy, bought in March and used all year with minor modifications along the way. Zx10 shock, hugger, tail tidy and Delkevic silencer, all the easy stuff really that didn't involve having the bike off the road. Now that the cold is here though its time to put all the bits that I've been gathering in the shed onto the bike.
Here's what I started with:

First job was to get it safely hoisted up in the air:

Next up, remove the handlebars then drop the forks:

Now, pick a front end. Looked for ages on our favourite auction site, bid on a few, didn't have much luck, then had too much luck. Tried explaining that it was money in the bank really but she didn't seem to share my optimism.

New headstock bearings required:

Then stick the yokes and forks back together, but on the bike. Simples!

Wheel, mudguard and calipers all on:

Thats all for the first session, easy stuff done. More posted as it happens.

Shug
Old 06-12-13, 09:53 AM   #2
MichaelM

Default Re: GSXR front end fitted.

Gorgeous bike, well done. How much did you end up paying for the forks? I've got a bent fork on my naked k6 and wondered whether I'd kill two birds with one stone and upgrade.
Old 06-12-13, 10:42 AM   #3
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

It's easy when you have all the tools and space....I ended up fitting mine in the kitchen lol

Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-13, 11:14 AM   #4
Mr wilson

That's what I was thinking while I was doing it, hats off to those who do it like you! I built one in the kitchen a long long time ago and herself still goes on about the ruined patio doors caused by grinding while she was out.
Thats use of a disc grinder, just to clarify!!

Shug
Old 06-12-13, 01:38 PM   #5
Owenski

Awesome thread, love a good build.
Old 06-12-13, 02:45 PM   #6
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Love in house builds and repairs
Old 07-12-13, 08:46 PM   #7
Mr wilson

Quick update on todays fettling. First job was to make a couple of brackets for speedo and steering damper.

First two brackets are for the speedo and are fitted onto the old ignition mounts.

Steering damper one is a copy of a design I found on SVRider.com, took a bit of trial and error but ended up ok I think.

Speedo mounted and everything centred.

Wish it was as easy as this makes it look but I always struggle making bits like this. Anyway, next for the headlight brackets. I hunted for ages for a design of bracket I liked then saw someone using a variation of this idea on SVRider.com again. Glaringly obvious once you see it and, in my opinion, the cleanest look I could come up with.
Firstly cut these bits off the standard fittings:

Then make new rings from 4mm mild steel, wound round the fork legs to form them, weld them on and paint the lot black.

The rubbers are obviously too small:

But a smear of silicon grease on the inside before fitting and they slide on without too much bother.

In amongst all this there's also been a radial master cylinder and new front brake line fitted.

Oh, and a home made HRC type reservoir.

Things will slow down a bit now though, next task is fitting a GSXR back wheel, purely so I can have a 180 rear tyre.
Have to fit this:

Into here:

Sold the old wheels so here's hoping it works out!

Speak soon.

Shug.

Last edited by Mr wilson; 07-12-13 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Amending information source
Old 07-12-13, 10:03 PM   #8
MichaelM

You're a busy boy! I've seen plenty people moan about not having a 180 on the rear because 'why would you want the bike to handle worse'. But I think it makes the bike look 10x better! And its not like we're all track-junkies is it!

Keep it up!
Old 07-12-13, 10:37 PM   #9
Mr wilson

Thats it exactly. If it needs it I'll just change the height of the back end or move the forks in the yokes or whatever, but I doubt that I'll notice to be honest since most of the time the gaffer is on the back and that acts as a pretty efficient speed limiter. I'll need to look back and see how much the front end cost then I'll let you know.
Old 07-12-13, 10:40 PM   #10
MichaelM

You're a star mate, whilst you're messing with the bike - get them indicators changed