SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-02-14, 10:14 AM   #11
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default Re: Buying a CAT D vehicle

I say that was over priced for a 2004 anyway, especial for a previous cat d. You'd be looking at sub 3500 for a straight one. Ignoring the interior and optional extras its still just a 318.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 10:54 AM   #12
Fallout
Mega Poster

Just take into account resale value. Nobody wants an insurance write off. 90% of people will walk on by so resale is difficult. It might be a great example now it's repaired, but there's no point you saving yourself a grand because it's a CatD then losing 2 grand when you try and sell. Buy it for the right price!
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 11:11 AM   #13
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

There's a few things you need to consider when buying this car (or any car for that matter)

Resale price: you've already said this doesn't bother you so ignore it.

Insurance value: now lets say for instance this car isn't a cat d and pay over value for it, you fall in love with it (who wouldn't its a sexy e46) and it becomes your pride and joy. You've bought it from saved money/loan/parents or what ever. A month down the line you're happily on your way to work and some ****tard goes up the back of you and destroys the thing. Now you have to deal with insurance. They will look at the book value of the car and make you an offer less than book price and you argue them up to a sensible price. But you have the added problem of it being registered as a cat d, although there's absolutely nothing wrong with it and its like new they will still look at it being worth less than what a straight version would get you. I've never had to go through this for a cat whatever but I would imagine you'd lose alot.

Market prices don't reflect book value and this is mostly due to people valuing their cars on what is going on autotrader in their area or what a dealer has it up for. For example, last spring I bought a van. Locally on my budget I was looking at oldish vans with 100k on the clock, I had to go 120 miles away to find a van priced at what reflected the book value. I ended up with a van with only 52k on the clock and I've spent about 50 quid on it since I've owned it but looking it its current value in this area I could make a couple hundred on it.

I have looked at and would buy cat d's and c's but I'd buy them damaged not fixed so I'd get better value and the satisfaction of knowing its been repaired properly.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Old 06-02-14, 11:19 AM   #14
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

And in my personal opinion that price doesn't reflect that its a cat d.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Old 06-02-14, 11:33 AM   #15
otaylor38

I have thought of the resale value, hadnt thought of the insurance value problem. Cheers wideboy. Educating haha.

Id want that car very cheap if it was me, or id just buy another one. Theres plenty of 318's about
Old 06-02-14, 11:43 AM   #16
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaylor38 View Post
or id just buy another one. Theres plenty of 318's about
That would be what I'd do. Buying a vehicle with your head and not your heart is a difficult thing to do.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Old 06-02-14, 12:01 PM   #17
ClunkintheUK

I got my Tiger as a Cat D. it had 7k on the clock. apparently the crash happened while the original owner was on his way home from the 7k service. I found out what had caused the write off (i.e. the damage). This was backed up by independent research on the internet saying that this type of write off was common on Tigers was even mentioned as a weak point in the release reviews in the mags. I saw the repair and was happy with it. I also just spoke to the guy and decided I trusted him. He was knowledgeable about this bike and bikes in general. Gave reasonable answers to reasonable questions.

At this time Tiger 800 with no bits were going for about 5700-6500 for an 11 plate (like mine) with the 5700 ones usually having 15-20k on the clock. This had hand guards, and a givi plate, which is about 300 to add, and added about 150 on resale value it seemed. I got it for 4150. I would probably have paid 4600/4700, but I think he was desperate and other had been put off the price was so low.
Old 06-02-14, 01:24 PM   #18
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Bear in mind insurance catted cars and bikes are different in many ways.
Old 06-02-14, 02:34 PM   #19
Doinitmyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by atassiedevil View Post
VIC check is to ensure that it actually IS that vehicle. They visually inspect to ensure VIN numbers match the original vehicle, and that nothing has been tampered with and that it's not a cut and shut.

When I was last buying from salvage auctions motorbikes didn't have to be VIC checked to get a logbook. You could just straight apply and pay......

Cat D cars don't need to be VIC checked either.

I bought a nice Laguna RTi S that someone had stuck in a fen in Cambridgeshire that was cat D for about £250.
92 RG80 (x2!)
89 AR125 - 89 RG125
75 CB200
Doinitmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 02:45 PM   #20
atassiedevil

Cat C and above generally do. D is cosmetic damage, C includes damage to the chassis, which some would just use a ringer on the same plate to get past, hence the need for inspection.