SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-02-06, 06:34 PM   #1
Daimo

Default Loose Chain - Tightening?

OK, forgive me for a probably really stupid question.

On the way home tonight I noticed a scratching noise (earplugs in too). Looked down to see my chain was all loose on the lower half.

Took it really easy one the way home to get her home. Can anyone tell me how I can tighten it up? Its a curvy (K2).

More to the fact, why has it all of a sudden loosened up? I've been using my back brake a lot more recently, other than that, nothing has changed/hit/touched the rear wheel assembly (bar tyre pressure checking).

Any ideas, i'd ideally like to do it before 8pm if anyone can help?
Old 16-02-06, 06:50 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Loosen the nut on the rear wheel spindle(axle).Sticking out of the rear ends of the swingarm are the adjusters.Tighten the nuts on each side exactly the same amount.Do it about a quarter turn at a time as a small input makes a lot of difference.Set chain to about 3 cm vertical movement halfway between sprockets as a minimum.Then tighten up the spindle nut again. Easier with a stand or someone to help,but not really tricky.
Old 16-02-06, 07:01 PM   #3
Stig

You need to move the bike to a position so as the tightest part of the chain is in the middle of the bottom of the chain between the front and rear sprockets.

Put the bike in the side stand, loosen the rear axle and the rear calliper torque arm.

Turn the adjusters evenly in a clockwise direction. When you have the correct tension on the chain. Tighten up the rear axle and then the torque arm bolts.

Remember, you need to tighten the chain at it's tightest point.

A chain that does not receive regular care will not last long. When a chain is past it's best it deteriorates very quickly.

Check how far you can pull the chain off the rear sprocket. Do this right at the end of the sprocket at the rear of the bike. If you can pull it off more than a quarter of a tooth then the chain is fubar.
Old 17-02-06, 09:38 AM   #4
Daimo

Superb, thanks so much for that. PLayed around last night. Worked out i needed about 2.5 rotations (complete) to tighten the chain.

Must be my fault, having oiled it in about 2-3 weeks Won't be making that mistake again.

Took it really easy on the way in this morning. Goes into gears much smoother with a nice little clunk now.

It still makes a bit of a nasty rubbing noise when i first started this morning. Seems to be ok now.

Top stuff, cheers lads
Old 17-02-06, 10:40 AM   #5
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimo
Superb, thanks so much for that. PLayed around last night. Worked out i needed about 2.5 rotations (complete) to tighten the chain.

Must be my fault, having oiled it in about 2-3 weeks Won't be making that mistake again.

Took it really easy on the way in this morning. Goes into gears much smoother with a nice little clunk now.

It still makes a bit of a nasty rubbing noise when i first started this morning. Seems to be ok now.

Top stuff, cheers lads
Tightened?

I hope you left enough slack! Should be some up/down movement on the chain
Old 17-02-06, 10:47 AM   #6
Dangle_kt

BUY A SCOTOILER!!!!! they are brilliant if you use your bike daily - esp in the bad weather, it automatically oils your chain with just the right amount of oil, but only when the engine is one, costs £70 - 30-45 mins to fit (there may well be posts on how to fit them best to an SV - do a search)

They improve chain life by 5-7 times and when you consider a chain/sprocket replacement can cost £130ish if you don't do it yourself then it is well worth it!!

when i used to commute it meant i didnt have to adjust my chain for months at a time with no problems!

Brilliant product! don't buy cheap copies - they are rubbish! loobman was the bane of my life for months till i binned it and bought the real deal.
Old 17-02-06, 10:51 AM   #7
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangle_kt
loobman was the bane of my life for months till i binned it and bought the real deal.
Mine worked wonderfully for many months. It depends on how you fit and use it.

I've scottoiler now because of my mileage and the chance of me forgetting to use the loobman.
Old 17-02-06, 01:46 PM   #8
Daimo

Yeah, but i did tighten it toooo much, popped it into 1st, rode about 5-10 metres, stopped, checked and it was solid.

Got off and wheeled the bike back, loosened it off. I went by the above, theres about 3-4cm play in the middle bottom of the chain now.

Scottoiler is deffo something thats on the cards, its just i've got a lot top pay out for currently (moving in a new house) but certainly something im looking at.