SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-01-08, 05:01 PM   #1
Rich
Mega Poster

Default I've got the front end Bug!! Help!

Hey guys, well after seeing the sucess of phil24_7's front end i ended up bidding on ebay for a GSXR1000 K4 front end, annnnd i won . Now i've done a few things to the bike but this will be the biggest thing i've done. Hope i'm up to it.

I need to know what i still need, so a list from someone who knows would be helpful!

Now with the forks are

-Forks ofcourse
-Top and bottom yokes
-Front wheel spindle
-Speed damper, dought the sv could use it.
-What else do i need on my list, brakes etc i know?

Before i tell you all how much whats a good price for these forks, in good condition, so all the pictures show?

Last edited by Rich; 31-01-08 at 05:03 PM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-08, 05:08 PM   #2
Lozzo

Default Re: I've got the front end Bug!! Help!!

Are you thinking of fitting a Gixer wheel, or going for the Triumph wheel conversion for the Gixer forks so you can use a normal speedo drive and retain the factory fit look.

http://www.racecomp.com.au/usdfe.htm
Old 31-01-08, 05:15 PM   #3
Rich
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Are you thinking of fitting a Gixer wheel, or going for the Triumph wheel conversion for the Gixer forks so you can use a normal speedo drive and retain the factory fit look.

http://www.racecomp.com.au/usdfe.htm
So if i go with the wheel conversion i dont have to mess with the speedo and just connect up to original? Trump wheel isn't far off the same. If it saves me doing to much to mess it up then i'll deffo look into it.
Old 31-01-08, 05:23 PM   #4
sinbad

I think there's a cream you can get for that........./runs off giggling.

Forks look nice, this is definitely something I hope to do at some stage. Take photos regularly.....and, if it's not too cheeky, a running log of the costs and where you got the bits from please
Old 31-01-08, 05:25 PM   #5
Rich
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
I think there's a cream you can get for that........./runs off giggling. PMSL

Forks look nice, this is definitely something I hope to do at some stage. Take photos regularly.....and, if it's not too cheeky, a running log of the costs and where you got the bits from please
No probs, everyone will be able to do it by the time i've done it.

Step one: Aquire some forks. Yep done that.

Last edited by Rich; 31-01-08 at 05:27 PM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-08, 05:34 PM   #6
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RichSV650 View Post
So if i go with the wheel conversion i dont have to mess with the speedo and just connect up to original? Trump wheel isn't far off the same. If it saves me doing to much to mess it up then i'll deffo look into it.
There's a bit of sussing what Triumph wire goes to what Suzuki wire, but apparently it's not hard to figure out. That's it once you have the conversion spacers. You just have to know exactly what model forks, wheel, calipers and discs you have so you get the correct spacers for the job. Some forks require 2mm taking off them to allow the speedo drive to fit properly, but any decent machine shop can mill that off.
Old 31-01-08, 06:26 PM   #7
trinyquist

1RichSV650, did I see you at weston-super-mare the other day? Don't know if you would remember, but I was the guy in the RST leathers (the girlfriend was on the back in alpinestars leathers) with the blue pointy in the bike park next to the tourist info building.

(Totally off topic I know, sorry!)
Old 31-01-08, 06:29 PM   #8
Rich
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinyquist View Post
1RichSV650, did I see you at weston-super-mare the other day? Don't know if you would remember, but I was the guy in the RST leathers (the girlfriend was on the back in alpinestars leathers) with the blue pointy in the bike park next to the tourist info building.

(Totally off topic I know, sorry!)
Yeh it was, . I always wonder when i see SV's if they are part of the org. I recognise your bike in your avatar. Nice rumbly exhaust
Old 31-01-08, 06:36 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Evening.

http://gregmli.blogspot.com/search/label/DIY

This site is excellent for which brakes work with what etc.

Basically you need wheel, discs, mudguard, calipers.

You can probably re-use your SV front tyre depending on how much sharper you want the steering to be.
I'd use the SV front then fit the steering damper if its a little hairy. Doubt there will be a problem though.

Bear in mind I'm doing mine with older SRAD bits, and I'm not done yet, so could be talking balls.
Old 31-01-08, 06:40 PM   #10
trinyquist

Woohoo! First SV'er I've seen from here Have to say that your bike is super super tidy, me and the girlfriend both said that to each other when you rode it into the bike park. I'm definitely going to have to invest in some clear tail lights!

Oh, and my 33bhp restriction ends the same week as yours ;D