SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-08-05, 09:37 AM   #1
The Mass

Default Rageing mad - Ken Roberts Motorcycles and Scottoiler

HI All,

Firstly, I'd like to say this may be a long one, and I'm glad that the site is back up after the weekend, as I have been dying to get on for my rant!

So here goes....

A while back I took the bike back to Ken Roberts Motorcycles in Newport because the gear lever had fallen out of it's socket whilst tootling along the M4.
Also because the tank on the bike had a paint blemish, and I wanted it replacing under warranty.
The first issue of the gear lever, Mr Roberts had said was attributed to the "Blue Flame" exhaust I had fitted to the bike as non standard, and my warranty was now void. WTF!
Anyhow both problems resolved after a couple toys thrown out of Mr Roberts pram, as he didn't want to replace anything at all, and commented that he had "Bent over backwards with Suzuki to help me" (Do one, you tosser I thought).
Anyhow, I have recently found, by chance, that the rear snow shovel has cracked under the weight of the "Scottoiler" touring kit that Mr Roberts had fitted.
So, I spoke to scottoiler last week, and they supplied me with a list of bikes that the touring kit HCR unit is NOT to be fitted to, the SV650 2003 - onwards is one of them, and coincidently causes this problem.
So, I trondles off to Mr Roberts and explains that he supplied, fitted, and recommended the touring kit, and it has caused this problem.

Roberts looks at the bike (this is on Saturday morning) and looks at the exhaust, and said "I see you have had that fixed then"?? as that is what's caused this..
So both me and my mate are looking at him in astonishment, as I haev just produced the list from Scottoiler....
He then said" We'll if you want to ride around with the bike like that, then that's up to you"??? I'm like WTF!!!
But it clearly says on the list not to fit it to this bike...
Roberts said "I didn't know that"
I said" But are you going to fix it now, now that you know it's not supposed to be on there"?
Roberts "No!"
Me ...So how do I get this fixed then, considering you fittetd it, supplied it, recommended it...
Roberts "Dunno, it's nothing to do with me"..and proceeds to walk off..muttering something abotu contacting Suzuki...
So I shouted..."WTF has it got to do with Suzuki"???? you nob ed!

Any how, I have now maide an official complaint to Suzuki about Mr Roberts, adn the fact that he should have picked up the lose gear lever on it's first service, and the fact that he is insisting that my warranty is now void on the bike. Suzuki this morning, have contacted Roberts

I have also contacted Scottoiler
this morning, they are going to take the matter up with Roberts and may even take him off their supplier list RESULT!
and have also asked me to get a quote on fixing the problem, as they are willign to supply me with a loob tube to be fitted instead, and fix the snow shovel.
Scottoiler are fantastic!!!
I am going to write to MCN and Ride and tell them about how good Scottoiler are, proper customer care...
And also tell them about toss: Roberts!!!!
what a ER he is!

BTW: I am also interested in getting the numebr of people or a list of people's names, where the gear lever has fallen out on the K4,
I know Ceri was looking at it, but I am going to take this further, as I think it's more of a manufacturing problem, as the lever is totally diffrent opn the K4 to any other SV models.
So if you are willing to help me - please do.. and PM me if you have had this problem were the gear lever has come lose.

Cheers - Mass
Old 22-08-05, 11:10 AM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Scottoiler are a great company to do business with... When I got the bike mine was missing some bits, and even though I told them I'd never bought anything of them, they sent me all the missing bits plus a manual and a small pot of blue oil for free... Top marks.

Your Ken Roberts sound a little like my Carrick motorcycles...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-05, 11:17 AM   #3
The Mass

HIiya Northy,

Yep - he's a true wolly!

My mate who was with me at the time, is usually a very very calm individual, and even he started to see red!

The man is just un-real! fancy admitting to something, and then saying you didn't know!

Yep they're deffo in a class of their own with yours as well

Mass
Old 22-08-05, 12:04 PM   #4
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Nightmare Mass

But in my opinion anyone called Carrick is an ****! (This is intended for Carsick BTW)

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-05, 09:33 AM   #5
Ceri JC

Default Re: Rageing mad - Ken Roberts Motorcycles and Scottoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mass
Anyhow, I have recently found, by chance, that the rear snow shovel has cracked under the weight of the "Scottoiler" touring kit that Mr Roberts had fitted.
So, I spoke to scottoiler last week, and they supplied me with a list of bikes that the touring kit HCR unit is NOT to be fitted to, the SV650 2003 - onwards is one of them, and coincidently causes this problem.
So, I trondles off to Mr Roberts and explains that he supplied, fitted, and recommended the touring kit, and it has caused this problem.
Feck! I've got a touring scottoiler on my K4. I was lead to believe that you should only mount it on the snow plow and not more flimsy aftermarket hangers like the hamicad fender eliminator/undertrays with integrated plate hangers. Bit of a different case re: the dealer though as I specifically asked for the touring scottoiler, rather than the normal one.

If I could do it again, I'd of only gone for the standard one anyway (it needs filling so infrequently, that it's not a problem for me). I can't really be bothered to remove the snow plow at the moment and mine seems to be fine. I reckon if it cracks I'll fit a tail tidy of some sort, stow the basic scottoiler resevoir somewhere else and get rid of the HCR. I'm reluctant to lose my underseat storage though- my chain and sidestand puck fit nicely under there. I'll probably put it in the space between the tail fairing and subframe.
Old 23-08-05, 09:41 AM   #6
Carsick

Default Re: Rageing mad - Ken Roberts Motorcycles and Scottoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mass
and have also asked me to get a quote on fixing the problem, as they are willign to supply me with a loob tube to be fitted instead, and fix the snow shovel.
Nice one for Scottoiler, they're definitely a company that alot of others should take lessons in customer service from. As for fixing the snow shovel, there are a great many spare ones available on the forum; I believe Mr Toad offered you one.
Old 23-08-05, 09:48 AM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

Mass

Sorry to hear about your troubles. However, Mr Roberts is right with regards to warranty. If you change your bike mechanicaly to the spec that it leaves the factory in, then it is up to the dealer and ultimatly Suzuki to honour warranty claims. If you had brought the bike new, then you should have picked up the paint blemish on your tank at the PDI, then it would have been replaced no worries. However, this still does not excuse hes attitude, and im sure that he could have delt with it in a different manor. As for the scotoiler. I still cant undertand why on earth anyone wants a HCR kit on thier SV at all!! I get over a thousand miles out of my std uni kit. Again, that dont excue his atitude and unhelpfulness.

Scotoiler are a top company to deal with.

If Mr Roberts genuinly didnt know that the HCR shouldnt be fitted to the K4> then, he didnt know simple!

His attitude does stink though

Hope you get it all sorted
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-05, 09:51 AM   #8
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
If Mr Roberts genuinly didnt know that the HCR shouldnt be fitted to the K4> then, he didnt know simple!
Not knowing is one thing, but then not taking responsibility for it when it's shown that he should have known is another.
Like you said, his attitude is the main barrier.
Old 23-08-05, 10:25 AM   #9
The Mass

Update:

Cheers all for your comments, and I have been assured by Suzuki that my warranty is NOT void, as the exhaust has been fitted scurely.
I have made an official complaint to Suzuki about Mr Roberts, with the main point being the threat from him that my warranty is void.

Scottoiler will be sending me a lube tube kit F.O.C
And I have just picked up a Hamica tail tidy, as I don't see the point in replacing the snow plough, even though Scottoiler are willing to replace that also.
I must say that Scottoiler are a great company, I spoke to the Financial director who sorted this out for me, and it looks as though they will definately be taking the matter up with Roberts himself. As he admitted to both my friend and I that he had been fitting the touring kit to SV's.
And I advised Scottoiler that if this was his attitude towards me, then what's stopping him from doing it again to the other bikes he's fitted it to.

As for Ceri, Ceri mate, please check under the pillion seat, you can hardly notice it's cracked, but the snow plough will be bobbing around like billyo when you're scooting around.
it cracks just under where the fuse box is down both sides, and you will also notice a light dusting of your grey paint on the snow plough under the brake light.
That's when you'll knwo it's on its way out. I know it'll be grey cos that's your bike colour where as mine was blue.
I only really noticed it, when I went to refill the HCR, and then took the pillion seat up to find the cracks.

As for Mr Roberts, I think he'll regret selling the bike to me, as it's not just this Scottoiler problem, I've had several run ins with this bloke.
As for the original tank issue, I did mention it to him when I first looked at the bike, and both Nagai and I noticed it, and he still didn't do anything, and that was even before I passed my test to ride the bloody thing.
The man is just a nob - he really is!
The other instance when the gear change decided to leave the bike along the M4 - he blamed on the exhaust ??
And then suzuki gave him the ok and supplied him with a brand new one, he managed to just fit the old one and stick some threadlock in there.
And on the way out of the shop, he wanted to sell me the new Suzuki oversuit??? the man has no morals at all...just money money money...
I said that to him when we last spoke.. the fact that he was all nice as pie when I was lashing out the cash...but now I've taken the bike to be serviced else where, because you're attitude stinks..then...

Nob -ed...only word for him...and I hope he goes out of business, the ******!

Rant over..

But I can't praise enough the lads at George White's in Slough
And Scottoiler who are just awesome!
I have written to MCN to praise both

Mass
Old 23-08-05, 11:18 AM   #10
WelshWop

Ill pass on your experiance of Ken Roberts to all the bikers i know. That'll be about 20 less possible customers for him.
The guy is just rude, with no morals what so ever.