SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-08-07, 07:23 PM   #1
wtdafk

Default Winter bikes

Hey everyone!

having just got a daytona 675 and the winter fast approching i was thinking of getting a cheap bike that i dont mind never washing or dropping on the odd occasion.
i have always rode all year round on the sv and past bikes but im a little worried of the cost of new plastics for the 675.

im just wondering what my options were, i want something really cheap, and low insurance (im paying enuogh as it is) there doesent seem to be much on bike trader, i have also seen a brand new chinese 125 ped for £550 and was wondering if something like that would be worth it?

im in kent, so if anybody has an old bike they want to get rid of cheap then i will be intrested. i am soo skint now because of getting the 675 but it was really worth it!! but im on a real budjet, i only commute 4 miles to work so it hasent got to get me far!

Thanks for your help!!
Old 29-08-07, 07:57 PM   #2
scWirral

Default Re: Winter bikes

From what I have read about the chinese bikes, they are a great way of getting through your test cheap (some of them cost less than you would loose just registering a cbr125 in your name), but I dunno that they would make good winter bikes as they are made of monkey metal, the stuff fiat rejected as not good enough for making car wings out of in the 70s lol.

What you want is a very scruffy sv or an ancient honda like the cb-1 400 which I started on or an early cbr600. They would last much better, and if you decided to get rid they will probably be worth whatever you have paid for them a couple of years down the line.

Dont fear the insurance. Bloke in RiDE this month writes that he bought an urban tiger fireblade which he added to his GSX1400 policy for an extra £85!

What do you think of the 675? I test rode a street triple this week and I am VERY tempted. Have decided to kid myself that I really want a red one so that I can delay getting myself into debt again for another year!
Old 30-08-07, 02:47 PM   #3
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Just got a Yamaha XJ650maxim US import, old X reg 1981ish. 36,000 (mostly the other side of the pond, cos there is very little corrosion.) Tax exempt in september, MOT till april. Heated grips.

Shaft drive, 50-70mph all day. High comedy value (Ape hangers,Maltese cross sissy bar). Still burns (oil) cars away from the lights.

£100

Check out the "snips" in the Yellow or Blue paper, plenty of bargains and interesting stuff. You will be spoilt for choice being from where you are.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-07, 03:09 PM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

"Tax exempt in September"

No it isn't.Nothing built after 1973 is tax exempt.They used to move this on every year but not since the present government came to power ten years ago.

How about a GT 550?
Cheap now and plenty of spares about.
Old 30-08-07, 03:53 PM   #5
Ratty46

i got my scoot for winter, paid £150 for it, it wheelies! and its fairly nippy off the lights.

thinking about getting a DT125 or CG, i want gears, i hate scooters now!
Old 30-08-07, 03:55 PM   #6
Alpinestarhero

Dont buy chinese. Itll fall apart. Where as suzuki use cheesium for only the bolts and brackets, chinese manufactures use the stupidly cheese-like metal for everything

It might be a good idea to get a honda CG125, you might be able to get one from a riding school? It'll be mechanically sound, road worthy...if a little untidy

Matt
Old 30-08-07, 03:56 PM   #7
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRAMASHER View Post
Just got a Yamaha XJ650maxim US import, old X reg 1981ish. 36,000 (mostly the other side of the pond, cos there is very little corrosion.) Tax exempt in september, MOT till april. Heated grips.

Shaft drive, 50-70mph all day. High comedy value (Ape hangers,Maltese cross sissy bar). Still burns (oil) cars away from the lights.

£100

Check out the "snips" in the Yellow or Blue paper, plenty of bargains and interesting stuff. You will be spoilt for choice being from where you are.

got a piccie?

Matt
Old 30-08-07, 06:31 PM   #8
wtdafk

Ild love to see a pic of that to sounds intresting,time for a google search!

i have just been told i can have a moped for free, but theres a few things wrong with it, just wondering if it would be worth fixing that up over buying one that works.
the exaust is rusted off where it connects to the bike and needs a new battery, its also been sitting in a garage for 3 years and not bin run once. what u guys think?
by the way im not really good at fixing things
most things i try and fix i break beyond any repair!!
Old 30-08-07, 06:39 PM   #9
Stig

I bought this for £500 quid as commuter winter hack last year.

Million miles to the tank, comfy and well protected from that nasty wind, rain and snow. It has built in crash bars that are better than any crash bung.
Old 30-08-07, 07:28 PM   #10
charris

Quote:
im just wondering what my options were, i want something really cheap, and low insurance (im paying enuogh as it is) there doesent seem to be much on bike trader, i have also seen a brand new chinese 125 ped for £550 and was wondering if something like that would be worth it?
Im having the same thoughts, the very little summer weve had isnt going to last long, and i dont fancy getting the SV salty.