SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-11-06, 05:21 AM   #1
philipMac

Default What's the story with English rugby?

Seriously, can someone explain to me how a decent enough side, decent enough to jammy their way to a world cup victory, gets beaten by basically every one they play since?

Argentina just hockeyed them out of it today
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/rugbyuni...src=rss&feed=1

(Arg are a decent team really, but, their seventh consecutive loss...?)

While its funny and everything, I am a bit amazed I have to say.
What's going on?
Old 13-11-06, 08:27 AM   #2
cuffy

Robinsons a

Corry's got no respect from his players.
Old 13-11-06, 08:51 AM   #3
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffy
Robinsons a
I feel sorry for Robinson. He's a good forwards coach but he's not even being allowed to do that.

Watching from the sidelines, it looks to me like the players are too big and are being over-coached; there's a lack of speed (movement and thought). Contast that with the Welsh who are playing with a smile on their faces and with a free spirit.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffy
Corry's got no respect from his players.
That might be true.
Old 13-11-06, 08:56 AM   #4
K

Default Re: What's the story with English rugby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipMac
Seriously, can someone explain to me how a decent enough side, decent enough to jammy their way to a world cup victory, gets beaten by basically every one they play since?
Cos it's not the same side, without the same back-up and to be honest, to my mind, without the same driving goal.

We've lost a few key personalities rather than actual players and the mentality and drive they took with them has left a far bigger gap that the skill base.

Skills can be replicated (to a certain extent) and the players as individuals have got what it takes - but they're just not a team and it shows.
The world cup team - for all their faults at times - did gel well.

The simple fact is that they should be doing better, (as all the key parts are there...) but they not, and unfortunately getting slated by the press is just going to demolralise them I think, rather than going to make them buck-up and turnaround - simply because I don't think they've got the mental strength or driving figurehead to pull them up.
Old 13-11-06, 09:41 AM   #5
Steve H

Wrong shaped ball?
Old 13-11-06, 10:09 AM   #6
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Argentina just hockeyed them out of it today
HA! HA!

Sorry but as a Welshman, it's my patriotic duty!
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-06, 10:32 AM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

I was really impressed by how well most people seem to be reacting to it, I'd assumed that the press would all be out for scalps but even right after the game it was fairly level-headed. Argentina just played better, England weren't particularily bad.

Usually (racist stereotype approaching) English sports fans seem to take victory for granted, and it's an outrage if they don't get it- it's a damn shame, because it totally undervalues the teams' achievements when they do well. It's just expected- but fall short of that expectation and watch out. The England rugby team had a great run there, but these things don't go on forever, and the comedown's always a bi**h.

Whereas Scotland, well, as long as we stay in a competition long enough to get a second round in that's a lifetime achievement. Sensible goals
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-06, 10:50 AM   #8
keithd

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
I was really impressed by how well most people seem to be reacting to it, I'd assumed that the press would all be out for scalps but even right after the game it was fairly level-headed. Argentina just played better, England weren't particularily bad.
they are. they are after robbo's head from what i heard on 5live this morning....
Old 13-11-06, 11:57 AM   #9
Terence

Quote:
They suck?

(Up the Springboks!)
Yeah I know Ireland gave us a hiding over the weekend
Old 13-11-06, 12:20 PM   #10
Swiss

I think we are playing the same old style of rugby whereas most teams now have adapted to play a fast running game England seem to be content to try and play a driving game. I watched the Irish v SA and the Irish guys really moved the ball about well with good fast hands, playing the ball out to wide areas quickly and forcing the gaps. The English game still seems to be pick up the ball and run at the opposition using brute force to try and open gaps rather than ball play. I think that nearly all the international teams know England's Game plan as we seem content on playing the same style of rugby over and over. Consequently the English ball passing/play is generally slow and predictable.

These are just my observations and opinions, please feel free to flame as you please.