SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-12-18, 01:04 PM   #41
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Quote of the day (sorry, Brexit related)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Indeed, got a notification from this board from "random rideouts" and fortunately remembered my login. I see things are a good deal quieter on here these days and alas the meetings/AR and alike are no more, shame that, but hey time passes.

Got a few bike related thing going on including a Wales and Yorkshire Dales trip early next year, but health not been as good as it should, then again not quite dead yet.

Oh and Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you too.
Yes,times change and forums like this are largely pushed out by facebook or whatever the current media is.Still a few old faces here though.
Old 14-12-18, 07:39 PM   #42
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Indeed, got a notification from this board from "random rideouts" and fortunately remembered my login. I see things are a good deal quieter on here these days and alas the meetings/AR and alike are no more, shame that, but hey time passes.

Got a few bike related thing going on including a Wales and Yorkshire Dales trip early next year, but health not been as good as it should, then again not quite dead yet.

Oh and Merry Christmas.
Glad to see you're still in the land of the living Mark

Happy crimbo
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-18, 08:21 PM   #43
punyXpress
Mega Poster

All the Best for Christmas, Guys & Gals
Resolution: Use the Forum rather than pratting about on farcebook etc. You'll know my posts are abundantly full of Prairie Oysters.
aka: all bulsh1t, no facts
Old 15-12-18, 02:49 PM   #44
Bibio
Mega Poster

now that the UK are not getting their own way in the EUP there is talk of another referendum. if that referendum then comes back as stay westminster will have to go back to the EUP with their tail between their legs.. but wait, what if the EUP say tough we had a vote and your out, which i fully believe is what will happen.

if there is another referendum on leaving the EU then i would presume that this would set legal precedent for Scotland to have another referendum for leaving the UK...

what happens if there is a hard border between I and NI but NI decide that ermm no the UK can GTF and we are joining Ireland or go independent, do westminster send the troops in? if not and NI become part of I or independent then does Scotland and Wales if they want also get independence.

i see trouble ahead......

so at the moment we have a political party that should not be in power (coalition) with a PM that should not be there and now want to do a u-turn due to throwing their toys out the pram... talk about Holyrood being petty and useless the muppets in Westminster look like the court jesters.

ooohhh and if there is another referendum then thats an admital (sp) that they dont like the leave result so the leave political supporters should resign including the PM and BJ.

Last edited by Bibio; 15-12-18 at 03:10 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-18, 04:44 PM   #45
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

A "Norway" type deal is a nonsense. Norway pay quite a lot to the EU. They do this because they sell an awful lot of oil and oil products to the EU, whilst buying a lot less. They effectively rent a barrow in the EU market. We on the other hand buy a lot more than we sell. To compare the position of the UK to that of Norway is like comparing an apple to an elephant.
Edit Source http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/doc...doc_113429.pdf
and https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/

Last edited by littleoldman2; 15-12-18 at 04:52 PM.
littleoldman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-18, 05:20 PM   #46
embee
Mega Poster

The biggest issue I see is that whatever type of Brexit we leave with, a least 75% of the electorate won't like it. Consequently when all sorts of stuff hits the fan nearly everyone will be blaming everyone else for ending up with something we didn't want. Who in their right minds would take the country down a route where 3/4 of the people feel alienated? Oh yes, sorry, that's what the UK population want. Hence the old saying which sums up the UK/British psyche "We might be poor but at least we're miserable".

I can see grief coming from a people's vote on what is on the table, but at least it would establish a clear head of blame. The questions are fairly easy, one box remain (which as discussed above is a live option for now), one box leave (as it was first time). The only difference then is the second "leave" box has two additional tick-boxes which are for the negotiated deal or no deal, with the option for no preference or tick one. The only choice which counts for in/out is the first box, a binary choice, the secondary boxes will establish which version the Brexiteers want, and that would then be binding, accept it . The voters for remain get no say in which exit version we would choose so could not be blamed for ending up with the "wrong" version.

If it went for remain, then so be it and we suffer the anger of the original 52%. If it went for leave the Brexiteers will get what they want, even if half of them don't want it, and they must all accept the decision. Hey, that's democracy.
Old 15-12-18, 06:38 PM   #47
Bibio
Mega Poster

dont worry.. when we do get kicked out of the EU with no deal the EU will still get some of their budget.. remember who owns most of the privatised companies in the UK... price hike anyone...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-18, 07:02 PM   #48
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

The pretext for a second "peoples" vote (I have no idea if the electorate will be included) is that opinions have changed. As the last vote was leave the proposers can only believe that the people (as opposed to the electorate?) now wish to remain. Before the last vote, everybody thought that remain would win, Cameron hadn't even thought about what to do in the event of leave and had made no preparations for it. They were wrong, what on earth makes them think they are right now?.
If each time the "people" change their collective minds are we going to have another vote or should we just have one every 2/3 years after all we have general elections every 4 years.
Why don't we have a referendum for every budget or any other big change.
It's as stupid as deciding to rerun the 1974 general election now because labour got more seats with less votes then. You cannot turn back the clock, the damage to our relationship with Germany and France is done and as they effectively run the EU we will basically be told to sit quietly in the corner and keep buying our cars. Anyone who believes UK companies will ever get work from EU projects again must be daft.

It must be making things difficult for the SNP who did see leave coming and instructed their supporters to vote stay. If they think the "people's" vote will be stay do they then vote leave in order to be at odds with the UK and get indy ref 2
Old 15-12-18, 07:15 PM   #49
SV650rules
Mega Poster

If another vote was won by remain it would make score 1-1, so would need a tie breaker, and make it best of 3.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-18, 07:27 PM   #50
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

and on and on and on