SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-10-08, 06:28 PM   #1
Crabbers

Default Fuel tank removal? Pointy.

Can anyone advise on removing the tank, which is to be re-sprayed, from my 04 (pointy) SV650? I've got as far as propping the tank up, and before undoing the pivot bolts it appears there are three parts that need disconnecting:

1. The electrical wiring.
2. The fuel pipe.
3. The two two open-ended lines which run down the bike to near ground level (I' sure there's a proper term for them!)

It isn't too clear at which point I should disconnect each.

The wires feed in and out of a connector block which is easily accessed but appears not to have any join in it. I can see what appears to be another connector block behing the foil on the underside of the tank but I don't want to start undoing stuff unnecessarily. Similarly, the point at which to disconnect the lines and hoses isn't too obvious either.

And no, I don't want to have to shell out for a Haynes manual as I usually leave all this stuff for a proper mechanic!

Any ideas please?
Old 06-10-08, 12:19 PM   #2
fubber

Default Re: Fuel tank removal

For point 3. These two lines simply get pulled off at the tank.

For point 1. There is a squarish block connector to the lower left of the tank that you simply unclip - from memory I believe its brown in colour. It can be a bit tight to get in there and get at the push-in clip to pull the connector apart.

For point 2. There is a grey push connector on the fuel line just below the tank. You need to grip the connector with one hand, kind of pushing it in and simultaneously pullthe fuel line off with the other.

Its all pretty simple, its just access that's the difficulty - might be better getting a mate to help? You can undo the hinge and have them raise the whole tank slightly to give you more room underneath to 'break' the electrical and fuel connector.

Oh and you shouldn't need to disconnect anything behind the heat foil. Once you get the tank off there are about 3 little bend-over clips that hold this in place. Take it off then you can remover all the fuel filter 'gubbings' etc from the inside of the tank. Its about half dozen screws for this I think? Just be gentle with the removal and store well whilst the tank is being painted - I suppose you could leave this on and mask off though for the painting?
Old 06-10-08, 07:48 PM   #3
Crabbers

Cheers for that.

My electrical block is white but I didn't want to start yanking at it if it's some sort of sensor, rather than a connector!

Will unplugging the fuel line pee petrol all over the place, or does it have a built in cut-off of some sort?

Cheers!
Old 20-02-14, 02:35 PM   #4
Vinc

Bump!

Will there be fuel all over the place? (I am looking to remove mine on saturday)
Old 20-02-14, 02:56 PM   #5
ravesracin

Default Re: Fuel tank removal? Pointy.

just a small amount when you unclip the pipe so have a rag handy..
Old 20-02-14, 03:10 PM   #6
Vinc

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Old 20-02-14, 09:18 PM   #7
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

It is a doddle to remove the tank, just be careful not to drop it once it is all unbolted. I did this a while back ruining a brand new paint job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote