SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-06-09, 05:35 PM   #1
arcdef

Default Need help writing my cv :(

Figure i should get my act together and write my cv, however because im just a lazy student with a part time job am having trouble filling it out. Any tips for a first time cv, should i include education from school right up to the degree, and how do i put the grades if i havent got them yet????

Those are just a few questions but any advice would be amazing!

Cheers,
Ash.
Old 12-06-09, 05:47 PM   #2
Sally

Default Re: Need help writing my cv :(

If you're doing a degree, just saying working towards degree, with the list of modules/units passed so far, and a start date of the course and the end date.
Try downloading a CV template, makes it look professional and organised.
Include all grades and courses done, I included every exam I did in secondary school, and the highers I completed.
Old 12-06-09, 06:30 PM   #3
arcdef

Cheers, i would download a template but i don't have MS word and that's what they all download as .

In the profile section, what should and shouldn't I include?
Old 12-06-09, 06:33 PM   #4
kwak zzr

i can e mail you a copy of mine if you want and you can just change the info for your own, you really do need microsoft word or download open office.
Old 12-06-09, 06:36 PM   #5
arcdef

that would be brilliant! ill pm you my address , yeah i would buy it, but im on a flashy good for nothing mac and have their lovely offering of word.

Cheers!
Old 12-06-09, 08:29 PM   #6
anna
Mega Poster

If your in uni, why not use the access they have to their computers and word?
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 08:33 PM   #7
arcdef

Im at home, with no money so thought id make a start of it, its not going well, cant find my results from school or college
Old 12-06-09, 10:00 PM   #8
Ed

You need to think of something that will make you stand out. I often look at peoples' CVs, I get at leat two job requests a week, sometimes a lot more. To be brutal most of them are not good, not well thought out - boring and turgid.

Try and find a presentation that's just a bit different, see if you can build in a theme - so for example, focus on 'achievements'. I'd list your exams as 'Academic Achievements' and then list other 'Sports Achievements' or 'Practical Achievements' - I dunno, like you climbed Mount Snowdon backwards - that are preferably in some way sort of relevant.

Not everyone likes a maverick so whilst you need to find something interesting, don't make it too extreme. Finally, if you must put a list of 'hobbies' (please don't call them that, it sounds so-o-o boring, head it 'What I like doing' or similar) you'd be shocked at how many people put 'socializing', 'keeping fit' 'cooking' and so on - very very few put 'motorcycles' or 'bungee jumping'. Agan, you don't want to be extreme but you do want to be different, something that gives a very clear message that you are results oriented (even if yours aren't that good) and that you are interesting. As stated you need to be a bit different so as to stand out. But you will be working with other people, so you mustn't give the impression that you are so different that you can't work as part of a team.

Experiment with a few different formats until you're happy with it. And try printing it on slightly coloured paper - I use pale blue quite a bit, mainly because it stands out and it's different to boring white.
Old 13-06-09, 10:24 AM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Keep it simple, and dont make the font / layout to fancy. If its hard to read or its jam packed with information it'll more than likely go in the bin.

Ed is right it needs to stand out from the rest, if you want a hint I normally read

The persons name, how old they are, I look at their previous experience what jobs they've been doing and I look at the other interests sections i.e. hobbies and what they do when they are not working as I'm trying to get see what their personality is like.

I dont normally read the qualifications bit and TBH I find alot of it is completely irrelevant for the jobs they might be applying for.

Keep it simple, keep it short, make it easy to read you want to be trying to do is make is read in such a way that they want to get you in to interview you. Once you've got your foot in the door your halfway there...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote