SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-10-09, 11:19 AM   #1
FlyinCustard

Default Running Problems

Since the weather has dropped slightly I noticed a problem with the bike which is steadily getting worse.

It goes like this...

I get the bike out the garage in the mornin, warm it up with the choke until it's idling at around 1500rpm without the choke.

I set off on the comute to work which is only about 2 miles.

Whilst riding the engine sounds rather tickety and when I pull the clutch in for junctions and such like the revs drop to around 750rpm and often cuts out.

I had a similar problem last year but figured out that i'd been leaving the choke on and it was flooding the engine with fuel every time i dipped the clutch.

This time I have made sure that the choke is fully off.

When running the bike often seams to run lumpy and also seams to be poppin and burblin a lot more than before. Which with my very limited knowledge suggest maybe a problem with fueling.Especially when I also add a drop in mpg.

Any ideas from the mighty org?

Cheers
Rich

Last edited by FlyinCustard; 21-10-09 at 11:21 AM.
Old 21-10-09, 11:33 AM   #2
GavinD

Default Re: Running Problems

sounds like you choke cable has got a bit of stiction if its presenting the same symptoms as last time - lift the tank a see if the choke is actually returning when you press the lever back
Old 21-10-09, 11:34 AM   #3
GavinD

p.s warming the bike on the choke isn't the best thing to do as it basically washes the protective layer of oil off your working surfaces in the engine, start it and ride it with a little choke as you can get away with.
Old 21-10-09, 11:37 AM   #4
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

how old is your air filter?
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-09, 11:53 AM   #5
FlyinCustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
how old is your air filter?
I don't know, I bought the bike in April, and it's a t reg with 30k on it. no service history
Old 21-10-09, 11:59 AM   #6
GavinD

I'd still try making sure your choke cable is free

Might be the valve clearances if they've never been done.
Old 21-10-09, 12:45 PM   #7
Alpinestarhero

I too used to have this problem. You may be getting some carb icing; 2 miles is not really long and the engine wont be up to tempurature really. First thing is to get the carbs serviced; get them balanced, and while your there get the choke plungers cleaned and greased up (and nthe choke cable)

You may, in the mean time, wish to try running shell V-power just as an experiment; On very cold misty days I had problems with carb icing until the engine was properly warm, the engine would cut out just as you describe. Using shell V-power though prevents this (at least, I have observed this).

With regards to valve clearances, do get them checked since you have no service history. Have you serviced other things (oil, oil filter, spark plugs, air filter)?

Keep us posted,

Matt
Old 21-10-09, 12:56 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinCustard View Post
I don't know, I bought the bike in April, and it's a t reg with 30k on it. no service history
If you dont know when it was last serviced then get it serviced.
Old 21-10-09, 02:18 PM   #9
GavinD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
If you dont know when it was last serviced then get it serviced.

+1

probably due a brake service, fluids etc!
Old 21-10-09, 03:48 PM   #10
FlyinCustard

thanks all, i've got to take the bike in this weekend for a tyre so i'll ask for a price on a service.

would this include a carb service or would you expect to have to ask for this especially?