SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-03-17, 10:12 AM   #1
aesmith

Default Oxford "Hot Grips" on faired pointy - cable/controller routing?

Hi,

Question for anyone who's fitted recent model Oxford hot grips onto a faired pointy. I'm looking for opinions/experience on routing cables and siting the controller to get the neatest installation. Also to learn by others' mistakes if any! I'm aware that once the grips are glued I'm pretty much committed.

At the moment I'm favouring routing the cable from the throttle upwards, above the switch cluster and along the throttle cables. It looks a little goofy sticking up, but running it below and keeping clear of the brake lever means the cable obstructs the starter button when the throttle's fully closed. I guess there's an argument that it doesn't need to clear the brake lever at full throttle, but I'd rather it was clear at all throttle openings.

Clutch side looks like best is to route below the grip, looping back to follow the switch wiring.

What I'm really scratching my head over is mounting the controller which nowadays has a thick cable coming out of the back. That pretty much rules out mounting as shown in the document on this site, unless I mount it back to front.

Finally there's a bale of cable to be tidied up somewhere. Do you bundle that all up just under the top yoke so it all moves with the steering, or route each cable back under the tank and tidy up the slack back there?

Was intending to finish if off today, but thought I'd put the job on hold to see if there are any opinions.

Thanks in advance, Tony S
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-17, 01:05 PM   #2
DomP

Default Re: Oxford "Hot Grips" on faired pointy - cable/controller routing?

I did this on my fully faired pointy just after Christmas. I've not glued mine yet and judging by how hard it was to get them on I'm not sure they need it.
Mine are installed with the cables at the bottom pointing towards the rear of my bike, from there I've passed them through the front fairing gaps by the clocks and through the cable holes in the front of the frame. Slack is taken up in a bundle in the cable chanel to the side of the air box.
As for the controller, mine is the new type which I made a small alloy bracket coming off the clutch bolt to mount the supplied bracket to. Not as OE or integrated as I'd like but for now it's ok.

Get one of Bibio's gizmos to plug it into
Old 05-03-17, 04:35 PM   #3
aesmith

Cheers. I have the Gizmo! I've had a bit more of a fiddle around, and if I route the throttle side at the bottom, I think the lump will sit where my thumb normally goes. Any chance of a photo of your controller in position?
Old 05-03-17, 04:51 PM   #4
DomP

Will get a photo when I got to my bike next
Old 08-03-17, 09:21 AM   #5
DryRob

I put the big rubber bits underneath the bars, routed the cables through the front of the frame and hid all the extra wiring under the fuel tank.
I can't remember what I did with the controller, I tie-wrapped it to something on the left of the bars. The old grips had the controller on the right, that was a daft idea.
Will put up a photo at weekend if I remember to take one.
DryRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 05:38 PM   #6
aesmith

I'm going to try with it on the dashboard, I'm loath to cut a big enough hole to post all the cables through, so they're surface run at the moment. All cables fed back into the frame and the joints and tidying up of slack to the left hand side of the airbox.