SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-11-06, 03:15 AM   #1
watto

Default Running problems

Ok I've been having something of a problem lately, and so has another one of us over here in the great southern land.
My 02 650 is playing up between 3500 - 5500 rpm. Get over 6000 and it goes great.
Basically the bike stutters, misses and reacts quite violently as you try to accelerate.
Maintaining speed in this rev range is quite difficult and destroying any idea of fuel economy no matter what gear is selected.
Today it started playing up at 8000 as well....
Yesterday I took it up to 10000 in second and third and the bike seemed to run a bit better through the whole rev range afterwards. Figured it needed a clean so gave it some this morning and now it won't accelerate past 8000.
I have checked various electrical components and was on the verge of doing the black box swap this thursday.
The TPS reads a bit high (85% instead of 78%), but wasn't sure if that would cause that much of a problem.

My choke was previously stuck partially on for 18 mths or so, still haven't managed to get into the front plunger but the back one had a bit of scoring on it. After spraying some CO contact cleaner into both things seemed to get a bit better. I have no idea if any of this is related though.

Have any of of you fellow Sv'ers in the old land had this problem??
Old 05-11-06, 10:04 AM   #2
Blue_SV650S

That sounds like a plug/plugs. Had the same thing before, would idle great, but had no puff higher up. Might be a coil/HT problem too. But it could also be carburetion ... not much help I know, but start off with some new plugs, or at least a known 'working' old set, you might get lucky!!

I'd then strip the carbs and clean out, might be muck or water in the float bowl/jets. Another cheap/free thing to eliminate.
Old 05-11-06, 10:37 AM   #3
watto

Haven't got around to removing the front plug yet, as it was going fine over 6k rpm I didn't think that would be the problem (but we all know what thought, thought).
Have done all the checks I could with a standard multimeter e.g. coils, regulator, generator, TPS and also drained the bowls with no result.
Also starting to think the carby may need a strip and clean at christmas time when I have some time off (only form of transport).
Thanks for the reply champ.
Old 05-11-06, 10:43 AM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Could easily be a sticky choke problem.If you can't get the front one out(know the feeling)try squirting some oil into the splitter on the cable right by the front plunger,and generally lubing the choke cables.That might free it up.
Old 10-11-06, 11:54 AM   #5
watto

Ok I seem to have fixed my bike

Now this is going to sound really strange but it was the foam under the tank.....
I recall on my first SV650 that Springwood Suzuki removed it and their reason was it can hang down and block the airfilter inlet.

Thought it was bulls*#t at the time.

While removimg the tank to check the fuel filter (which was spotless) I noticed a split in the foam. When i pulled on it a patch about 150mm in diameter in the middle wasn't even stuck on anymore. Promptly removed all the foam which came off way too easy and took the bike for a ride.

Surprise surprise everything runs fine now.

Thanks for the helpful hints everyone