SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-01-19, 03:39 PM   #41
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Spring weight for bike weight.

Sneaked a short test ride in again today as it might be the last chance to weatherwise for a while. Put the rear back up 1mm on adjustment and a 3rd of a turn on the preload to try and stop it feeling reluctant on corners. The front still felt like it was pushing outwards, reluctant to turn or stay turned when rolling on throttle and exiting corners. A few moments felt like it might wash out too. So I added a bit more preload on the back and backed off preload a 3rd of a turn on the front. Still felt the same exiting corners but starting to get twitchy too.

Then it dawned on me that maybe the feeling the front is raising and pushing out sideways is actually the back squating down slightly as I roll the throttle on, with the feeling exagerated by the corner. I have had compression set fairly low as it's so nice to have something cushy and comfortable at the back compared to the old stock wooden block that was on it before. So, I gave it a couple more clicks compression on the back and it seems to be loads better. So it looks like it was the back squatting causing the problem.

As Bibio said, it's easy to know when something's wrong, but not necessarily what it is that is wrong. So, by process of elimination I'm learning a lot and getting there slowly.

I turned all other settings back to what they were at the beginning of the ride and left the compression set slightly harder and it's feeling like a good balance between turning in well and feeling stable again. It would be nice on the really bad roads to have the compression a bit softer on the back, but again for most roads it's now set really well and not squatting, so I'm leaving it there.

All in all, very happy with where I've got to with it so going to leave it alone and concentrate on enjoying the ride when I manage to get out again instead of focussing on what the suspension is doing.

Wow what a process this has been! I never imagined it would take so long. I'm sure it'll be tweaked as I ride it in coming months too.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-19, 05:26 PM   #42
glang

oh oh sounds like you want hi and low speed compression adjustment! And that will be mega money....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-19, 07:10 PM   #43
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
oh oh sounds like you want hi and low speed compression adjustment! And that will be mega money....

Don't even suggest it !

I think I'll just give myself time to get used to how it handles and ride accordingly. The rear shock is way beyond what I was expecting to put on there anyway. It handles the normal road bumps loads more than the stock one did and I can put up with the occaisional bigger pothole bump in exchange for the handling being more stable.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote