SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-02-19, 09:12 PM   #11
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Advice on getting my bike going after a long lay off

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Ha ha! I think you might be stealing riffraff's advice there Mav!
Ooh yes, riffraff not seeker
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 09:31 PM   #12
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000curvy View Post
Hello Again

I've also got a Remus end can to fit, could anyone advise me as to the best sealant for the link pipe?

Nick
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRANVILLE...frcectupt=true

Unbelievable quality for the price.Water based so wipes off well but thermo-expands to seal.Check the reviews.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 27-02-19 at 09:48 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 09:35 PM   #13
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Ha ha! I think you might be stealing riffraff's advice there Mav!
Me don't care and it's not just me that loves Redex type stuff

Fired up,"Greta" my blue Curvy today.Fires on the button even after a month.Can't beat Redex Stabilized fuel.Sod the Ethanol

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 27-02-19 at 09:50 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-19, 05:18 PM   #14
2000curvy

The carbs are all back together and on the bike. The choke plungers work far more smoothly than before, so I'm hopeful it will run for longer as and when it is started again. Or at least it won't be the fault of the plungers if it doesn't! Ever since I've owned the bike the throttle has never been too keen on returning back to its closed position. I still couldn't get it to close smoothly. By chance, in disconnecting the bottom cable it suddenly started snapping shut. I think I read somewhere on here that it isn't imperative to have both cables connected, does that sound feasible? The Spring on the carb mechanism seems to shut it off easily enough.

Garynortheast. I said your suggestion to clean up the calipers was a good call. It turned out to be a fantastic call. The fronts were in a really bad state. I think by the time the pads would have worn out the pistons may have been beyond the point where they could have been cleaned up sufficiently, so thank you again. I didn't get to do the rear caliper as the pins holding the pads in wouldn't move at all. They were really corroded. I think I could probably cut the pins in half to aid their removal, but does anyone know if you can buy just the pins?

I've drained the tank and put the pressure washer through it, after removing the fuel 'tap' and the fuel level sender unit. I rinsed it out a few times and quite a lot of rubbish was cleared from the tank. Looking through the filler nozzle, it looks much better than it did, with little or no rust at all being visible. The tank now has 9 litres of white vinegar in it which is hopefully working its magic.

Talking Heads, I laughed out loud at your second video when the guy realised his fork seals were now sealing again. Well I'll be bl00dy bugg3red! Such an Aussie reaction! I'm glad I wasn't having a drink when I heard it!

Thanks maviczap, I'll get some redex, anything which will help to start it sounds good to me!

R1ffR4ff, that looks like a complete bargain! I'll get some for when I try to fit the can, although I'll need to do a bit of psyching myself up before I saw the exhaust in two!

Thanks again everyone for all your help
2000curvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-19, 05:25 PM   #15
maviczap
Mega Poster

Yes, you can buy the rear caliper pins separately, but buy stainless ones off eBay, which won't corrode themselves into the caliper body.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-19, 06:23 PM   #16
daktulos

If you run with just one throttle cable, you're effectively removing a safety feature, so I wouldn't. If it's adjusted correctly (and maybe oiled) it should be smooth - perhaps yours were both a little too tight.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-19, 08:20 PM   #17
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000curvy View Post

R1ffR4ff, that looks like a complete bargain! I'll get some for when I try to fit the can, although I'll need to do a bit of psyching myself up before I saw the exhaust in two!

Thanks again everyone for all your help
Yeh I was in the same position when I did mine.The original exhaust I took off was/is still in great shape but just too quiet for me,

Old 28-02-19, 09:01 PM   #18
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Me don't care and it's not just me that loves Redex type stuff

Fired up,"Greta" my blue Curvy today.Fires on the button even after a month.Can't beat Redex Stabilized fuel.Sod the Ethanol

I love Redex too, cheapest fuel system clean you can get, works on lawnmowers and outboard motors as well, lawnmower fires up after winter layover first or second pull ( after priming ) pre -redex it could take hours and a carb stripdown to get it running properly, same with outboard that has stood for a while.

Petrol may look clean but it is still dinosaur juice with sticky stuff left behind when it evaporates.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 03:07 PM   #19
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I love Redex too, cheapest fuel system clean you can get, works on lawnmowers and outboard motors as well, lawnmower fires up after winter layover first or second pull ( after priming ) pre -redex it could take hours and a carb stripdown to get it running properly, same with outboard that has stood for a while.

Petrol may look clean but it is still dinosaur juice with sticky stuff left behind when it evaporates.
Wlikos are doing the 4 pack again for £8.50,

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/redex-pe...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 02-03-19, 09:35 PM   #20
2000curvy

Thanks Maviczap, I'll get some stainless steel pins as they'll only rust in again if I don't. I think I'll have to split the caliper to get the pins out, does that sound like the best idea?

Daktulos, I'll look into how easily the disconnected cable moves when it's not connected at the throttle end. As it works really well with the one cable, I'm confident the connected cable, throttle tube and carb mechanism are all working ok. But I take your point, the second cable wouldn't be on there if there wasn't a valid reason for using it, thank you 😀

R1ffR4ff and SV650rules, I'll get some redex on your advice, I've never used it before, but as its been out for years it must be good. And I really like your Remus can R1ffR4ff, and your bike looks great, I've not seen on in that colour before.

Thanks again all for your continued help and advice
2000curvy is offline   Reply With Quote