SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-12-07, 04:33 PM   #1
gettin2dizzy

Default The Lexus Lane

Quote:
Drivers could be offered the option of paying to overtake queues of traffic on motorways under an idea secretly being considered by the Highways Agency.
An extra lane – dubbed a “Lexus lane” because of the perception that only wealthier drivers could afford to use them – would be added either by widening the road or using the hard shoulder. A toll would be introduced to ensure that the extra capacity did not simply fill up with extra traffic.
Senior managers at the Highways Agency have discussed the idea, which they believe would help the Government to introduce road pricing on the strategic road network without alienating motorists. The Government has backed away from road pricing since 1.8 million drivers signed a petition against it this year.
Motoring groups argue that drivers have already paid for existing roads many times over through various taxes and should not be made to pay more for the same poor service.

But the agency’s toll-lane idea could be more acceptable because charges would be introduced only where extra capacity had been added. Drivers could choose either to remain on the existing lanes or to pay a toll for a faster journey. A senior source at the agency told The Times: “The technology for turning the hard shoulder into a running lane could have other applications, such as collecting and enforcing tolls. Drivers would have a choice; no one would be forced to pay to use the toll lane.”

Good/Bad Idea?
Old 10-12-07, 04:38 PM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Lexus Lane

No opinion on it really.

The people who cant afford it will hate the idea, the people who can will love it
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-07, 04:42 PM   #3
gettin2dizzy

I'm all for providing extra services (wahey!) but 4 lanes available to all would be more beneficial to the masses than a range rover runway open to the rich. How about a camera that monitored tailgating? or even police watching for lane hogs and dangerous drivers? The motorways are fine when operating, preventing the accidents is a priority.
Old 10-12-07, 04:44 PM   #4
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
I'm all for providing extra services (wahey!) but 4 lanes available to all would be more beneficial to the masses than a range rover runway open to the rich. How about a camera that monitored tailgating? or even police watching for lane hogs and dangerous drivers? The motorways are fine when operating, preventing the accidents is a priority.
but wouldn't it be tempting/amusing to pay to go on the rangerover runway just so that you could drive slowly and annoy the 4x4s behind you?
Old 10-12-07, 04:45 PM   #5
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
but wouldn't it be tempting/amusing to pay to go on the rangerover runway just so that you could drive slowly and annoy the 4x4s behind you?
Very True. A booming SV wouldn't be annoying at all ....nope

It's end up like london; a playground for the rich.

However I would like this idea if it had a higher speed limit! 110?
Old 10-12-07, 04:45 PM   #6
glsuk1970

Sounds like our government are becoming more creative in finding new ways to fleece the average motorist. It'll just be full of sales reps who claim the toll charge back on expenses, just like the M6 toll.

The majority of other road users will just trundle along in the remaining lanes they've already paid for.
Old 10-12-07, 04:47 PM   #7
caz650s

Whos going to push a vehicle with lets say a siezed wheel to the nearest 'safe haven' area ?

I don't agree with not having a proper 'hard shoulder'.
Old 10-12-07, 04:48 PM   #8
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz650s View Post
Whos going to push a vehicle with lets say a siezed wheel to the nearest 'safe haven' area ?

I agree. I don't like that bit of motorway where they are trialling the use of the hard shoulder as an extra lane. Feels wrong.
Old 10-12-07, 04:49 PM   #9
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz650s View Post

It does seem to work very well on the M42, where if there is an accident they turn the inside lane in to a hard shoulder by remote.
Old 10-12-07, 04:53 PM   #10
Daimo

Bad idea. Another money fleecing chance....

Why not do it like they do in the USA.

1 "people" lane. If you have 2 or more people in the car, you can use the free lane.
1 person in car cannot use the express lane.

Amount of 1 persons in a car is a joke. Accompany that with poor driving, cheap cars etc, its going to make for a load of traffic.

Share the cars, the traffic cuts down. Those people prepared to share then can use the free lane.

Got it in the USA, and have to say, we travelled past LOADS of traffic with 1 person in every other car. Saved us hours i'd say! IT works, its been proved.