SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-07-08, 08:11 PM   #1
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Default Army Motorcycle Safety Video

Apologies if posted before.
Quite hard-hitting this one I think!

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf...cle-safety.htm

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-08, 08:22 PM   #2
appollo1
Mega Poster

Default Re: Army Motorcycle Safety Video

That makes a point. Without sounding sarcastic but very hard hitting.
appollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-08, 08:58 PM   #3
neio79

wow thats good should show that on TV as a bike safty advert. Interesting to know i am teice as likley to die than you Civvies. wonder why that is?
Old 23-07-08, 10:37 PM   #4
ThEGr33k

I think I may have seen this... Erm might not be the same one though. Has it got Suzy Perry on?

NOTE at work... link not working.

Last edited by ThEGr33k; 23-07-08 at 10:42 PM.
Old 23-07-08, 10:51 PM   #5
jamessunhill

The link isn't working now (I'm at home).
Old 23-07-08, 11:07 PM   #6
Larry

Works fine now, good advert too.
Old 23-07-08, 11:22 PM   #7
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post
wow thats good should show that on TV as a bike safty advert. Interesting to know i am teice as likley to die than you Civvies. wonder why that is?
I'm one of smaller group that rides at work, I was talking about this with one the guys I worked with who doesn't ride. More officers in the service are killed/hurt in bike crashes than alot of other things including work related stuff it was high on the list of what hurts us.

Same question why? Me I don't worry if it happens then so be it (but I would rather it didn't)

Ride save people and enjoy sun
Old 23-07-08, 11:51 PM   #8
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
You're not! A better tagline would be 'ride like a tit and you're twice as likely to die..' Unless you being on a motorcycle is directly related to your job in the forces, but as shown in the ad - it's just a mode of transport. They are obviously playing on a statistic that says that in year X, the number of motorcycle fatalities of people in the forces was double that of civilians.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a well conceived ad/idea, but I can't believe that signing up will suddenly double my chances of dying!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-08, 08:25 AM   #9
Ceri JC

Quote:
I don't know why, but forces bods do seem to chuck their bikes down the road a fair bit now that it mentions it. Possibly a combination of things: rushing home for leave (or rushing back after leave); they tend to be a bit more fearless than your average person and bit of fear on a bike keeps you alive; a bit more confident in general, a plus up to a point, but perhaps leads to overconfidence in their riding abilities?

That said, my brother is ex forces and I'd say he's less likely than average to crash than your average joe, but that's probably down to his restraint/personality rather than his job.
Old 24-07-08, 08:26 AM   #10
cuffy

Quite a few of the camps round Salisbury area are "quarantining" returning troops from over sea's tours in a bid to stop them rushing straight out and getting on there bikes.
I did a bikesafe course at the weekend and one of the highest risks were returning forces personnel, for what reason they're not sure but they have psychologist's working on it, 3 were killed in 1 week on the same stretch of road earlier this year, all having only been back in the country for 1 week.