SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 14-05-13, 05:21 PM   #21
Loopydog

Default Re: Austria it is then...

Thanks Chris. Yes, September and the wine festivals are great, especially the Bernkastel one - it's big and very popular, with people coming from all over the world for it. That's the weekend of 31 Aug/1 Sept and we currently have vacancies. The following weekend is Zeltingen's but we're fully booked that week. The festivals are on everywhere along the Mosel all through September though, so you'd have a wide choice. See you soon.
Old 09-06-13, 03:28 PM   #22
Doinitmyway

Well like most things, it was over too quick, didn't goentirely to plan and the good bits were REALLY good!!

Early start on the Saturday with an 0650 crossing. Skybaba just getting enough time to get someEuros before we boarded the train

With satnavs set to fastest route we headed into Belgium. The weather was quite cold. We didn't really feel it until we stopped ofat the Mardasson Memorial just outside Bastogne. Unfortunately the visitors center was shut sowe couldn't get a hot drink.

Luckily once we got near Mikes Rivervalley guesthouse theweather started improving so spirits were up. I was still getting the hang of using the Gopro camera but still managedto put it in the wrong mode a couple of times.

With satnavs set to avoid motorways we headed furthersoutheast, going through a bit of Franceand hoping to join the B500 the other side of Baden-Baden. We hit our first snag in that the road over the border was closed and wewere detoured south, eventually crossing the border at Rheinau and going in viathe very scenic L87. We found a verynice steakhouse to have lunch!

Carried on through the Black Foresttaking in the B500 and quite a few back roads for good measure.

The plan was to head along the Deutsche Alpinestrasse andget our heads down in Bodensee for the night. The grey clouds were a sign of things tocome. The region had 2 months worth ofrain in the preceding week and we bumped into flooded areas and had to divertfrom our pre chosen route.

Due to all the hold ups and diversions we didn't reach Bodensee till evening

We both headed into town to an Italian and orderedpizza. It was bigger than the (large)plate and very good value! In themorning we left and headed for our third stop at Ramsau, again using non motorway. About 100 miles in the rain hit us, alongwith the cold. Throughout our route wekept coming across landslips and towns which looked like they had very recentlybeen flooded. Lots of slippy wet mud onthe roads in Kossen in particular. Afteragain getting turned back due to another blocked road and with the cold startingto bite, we decided to head for Zell Am See to find accommodation there. Expensive but a welcome respite! The bikes were a right mess with all the roaddirt.

After meeting Sebastian Vettel in reception (!!! ok just adoppelganger !!!) he kindly checked if the Grossglockner was going to be openin the morning and he said.......Yes! Atbreakfast in the morning, reception double checked and said open to bikes from10am. By the time we got changed anddownstairs they then said open to bikes from 11am! We crossed our fingers and made our way up.

I am glad I wore my thermals!!

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Happy to have made it ok, we of course had to do theobligatory poses.

As we carried on the fog drew in....
YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Stunning scenery on the way down and onto the visitorscentre.

YouTube Video

92 RG80 (x2!)
89 AR125 - 89 RG125
75 CB200
Doinitmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-13, 03:32 PM   #23
Doinitmyway

It was after the Grossglockner that Ayo and me split, with Ayo heading into Italy to try his luck with the Stelvio pass. I wanted to spend a bit more time in Austria and visit Werfen, the town where parts of 'Where Eagles Dare' were filmed.

After heading east on some great roads the weather looked like turning. Happy with my lot of riding so far I detoured direct to Werfen, missing out the Nockalmstrasse. Again this route was stunning.

Again though the route to Werfen was blocked due to flooding and a landslip. With a big sigh I gave it up and headed back to the hotel in Zell Am See. Another good road but punctuated with lots of traffic due to hold ups where the Austrian army was trying to dig the earth from a couple of landslides which had dumped tonnes of earth onto railway lines.

After checking out I decided to head east and attempt the Silveretta pass as recommended by another orger. The weather to the west was supposed to improve aswell. No motorways thank you and the route was just stunning. I could bore you with scenic photos....

Only to find once I got there.....

I had heard from Ayo that the Stelvio was closed so it looked like there was still bad weather at altitude all across this region. I then headed back and thought I would head toward Lake Constance. Using backroads Tomtom sent me via the St Anton - Zurs - Lech- Warth - Schoppernau road. What a road. Fantastic route and I heartily recommend if mountain roads are your thing!

YouTube Video

After Lake Constance it was back to the Black Forest to play some more on the twisties and go to a place my Mum worked when she was in her teens, just for posterity sake. The roads in the Schwarzwald can be *very* abrasive and after a blat I noticed at a petrol station that the rear tyre looked like it was getting proper ripped up, looking good for over 10k but worrying nevertheless.

I then took the scenic route back to Mike's place on the Mosel and made great time. Was nice to relax and chill out a bit. Mike even leant me a bucket and sponge so Icould get the bike looking a bit more presentable. I wasn't too upset by missing out on Silveretta and Werfen because to be honest some of the roads I did ride were top stuff, the others would have to be superb to match. They will always be there for next year........

On the way back I took a little time to indulge in a little battlefield visit. Elsenborn and Rocherath-Krinkelt - the northern shoulder in the battle of the bulge, scene of some viscous fighting.

Here's to next year

Chris
92 RG80 (x2!)
89 AR125 - 89 RG125
75 CB200

Last edited by Luckypants; 16-06-13 at 09:20 AM. Reason: fixed non-working photo link
Old 10-06-13, 10:49 AM   #24
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Great write up and pics.

You take your chances in the mountains right till the end of June. Another reason for not planning too much!
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-13, 08:32 PM   #25
Doinitmyway

And Mike, what we were discussing in your man cave

YouTube Video

The drummer if anyone's wondering lol

Chris
92 RG80 (x2!)
89 AR125 - 89 RG125
75 CB200
Old 15-06-13, 12:01 AM   #26
Runako

Fantastic trip mate. Nothing ever goes to plan on tour, but you know that's part of the fun Nice write-up too.
Old 16-06-13, 08:24 AM   #27
BasketballPAT

looks great, nice pictures
Old 17-06-13, 11:49 AM   #28
Loopydog

Great report Chris, with some lovely images and enjoyable video clips. Pity about the weather for some of your trip, but hey-ho, it never seems to spoil you're enjoyment judging by the state of the side of your tyres! It was brilliant seeing you again and meeting Skybaba. Hope you'll be our way again in due course. Hi to the missus and the Essexboys (or should that be mafia?).
Mike
Old 19-06-13, 06:54 PM   #29
Skybaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopydog View Post
Great report Chris, with some lovely images and enjoyable video clips. Pity about the weather for some of your trip, but hey-ho, it never seems to spoil you're enjoyment judging by the state of the side of your tyres! It was brilliant seeing you again and meeting Skybaba. Hope you'll be our way again in due course. Hi to the missus and the Essexboys (or should that be mafia?).
Mike
Hey Chris,

I've not managed to write up my account; I've been very lazy!
Nice reading yours and seeing the pictures!

Mike, it's was great meeting you Sir.
I'll be up for another trip; possibly next year.......maybe you'll be giving me drum lessons then

Cheers,
Ayo
Old 19-06-13, 08:20 PM   #30
Loopydog

The pleasure was all mine Ayo - great to see you taking the SV so far, so early, hat's-off to you and hope to see you again on your travels. As for the drums ...... 'that'll be the day .....'!
Ride safe my friend.