SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-03-07, 05:01 PM   #1
dnikop

Default Km/h - Mp/h Speedometer

Hi Everyone,

new to this forum and the UK after relocating a few months ago from Stockholm Sweden. I brought with me my SV650S '04 and I'm currently trying to register it in the UK. Right now I wish I'd never brough it with me in the first place due to the amount of paperwork and s**t (pardon my language) I have to deal with but seeing as I did bring it I need to sort it out

Paperwork aside, I need to make some mods to the bike - mainly two, speedometer and headlight. Now the SV650S has a digital speedometer and one would assume it would be a setting somewhere to change this from Km/h to Mp/h (i'm going down to the garage later to see if I can change it somehow myself). I've checked with Suzuki in the UK and couple of dealers back in Sweden but noone can actually give me any conclusive answers to this question. I'd rather not buy a new speedometer since that would cost a lot more than I was expecting and in that case I might as well take the bike back to Sweden.

Does anyone have any experience on this/or knows if the speedometers can be reconfigured?

Thanks for your time everyone.

Cheers,
Dion
Old 12-03-07, 05:06 PM   #2
Rocket

Default Re: Km/h - Mp/h Speedometer

I've got a couple of 03 SV Thou's and you can indeed change the digital speedo from MPH to KPH and back by simply holding down the ADJ button for 3 seconds whilst the display is showing ODO (not Trip A or B). Comes in really handy for trips into Europe.
Old 12-03-07, 05:09 PM   #3
dnikop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
I've got a couple of 03 SV Thou's and you can indeed change the digital speedo from MPH to KPH and back by simply holding down the ADJ button for 3 seconds whilst the display is showing ODO (not Trip A or B). Comes in really handy for trips into Europe.

Mate if that is the case you are a life saver I'll try it as soon as I get home!

Thanks!!

Btw, I'm live in Manchester as well. Any good roads around here? I hope I can sort out the registration soon cause I haven't been able to drive in a while and ir's starting to get to me...

Cheers,
Dion

Last edited by dnikop; 12-03-07 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-03-07, 05:25 PM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnikop View Post
Mate if that is the case you are a life saver I'll try it as soon as I get home!

Thanks!!

Btw, I'm live in Manchester as well. Any good roads around here? I hope I can sort out the registration soon cause I haven't been able to drive in a while and ir's starting to get to me...

Cheers,
Dion
Seeing as you will be in Madchester, you need to catch up with the Pennine Massive, we ride some of the best roads in the country. Hence the south comes north pilgrimage to permit the southern people to try our roads. Plus the annual rideout of the SV650.org is to be in the north west this year. Our first true meetup/run will be the catherine wheel run on 14th April. A group of manchester lads will be meeting at Worlsey for this. see http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=84805 for details
Old 12-03-07, 07:25 PM   #5
dnikop

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Seeing as you will be in Madchester, you need to catch up with the Pennine Massive, we ride some of the best roads in the country. Hence the south comes north pilgrimage to permit the southern people to try our roads. Plus the annual rideout of the SV650.org is to be in the north west this year. Our first true meetup/run will be the catherine wheel run on 14th April. A group of manchester lads will be meeting at Worlsey for this. see http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=84805 for details
Thanks mate! Let's hope I've got the bike sorted out soon cause I keep seeing all the bikes coming out with the improvement of the weather and it gets my adrenaline pumping.
Old 12-03-07, 07:54 PM   #6
OF.uk

I hope it doesn't cost too much to re-register your bike here. I was going to take my 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier to Hungary but it was going to cost £2,600 to register it over there!!!
Old 12-03-07, 08:09 PM   #7
gettin2dizzy

whereabouts in manchester are you?
Old 12-03-07, 08:10 PM   #8
dnikop

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF.uk View Post
I hope it doesn't cost too much to re-register your bike here. I was going to take my 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier to Hungary but it was going to cost £2,600 to register it over there!!!
Well the figures I've got so far are:

£75 for an original certficate of conformity (from Japan!!!)
£65 for a certficate from the VCA
£38 for registration with the DVLA

All this to do something that has already been done once in another EU member state... You got to love that red tape...

On top of those fixed fees there are additional costs for tax and any modifications. Hopefully I won't have to get a new speedometer and I can sort out the headlight at a cheap cost. Had I known that it was going to be this much hassle I honestly would've sold it in Sweden and bought another one here.
Old 12-03-07, 08:11 PM   #9
dnikop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
whereabouts in manchester are you?
I live in the city centre close to the MEN arena.
Old 12-03-07, 08:32 PM   #10
dnikop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post

It doesn't seem to work on my speedometer, there might be a difference in the software installed in the ones you get with the SVs in the UK... Too bad cause I was hoping it would spare me the rather huge expense of getting a new speedometer...

I'll have a dig around on the net and see if I find anything. Doesn't look like I'll be driving anytime soon...