SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-02-09, 06:11 PM   #11
Ed

Default Re: California Superbike School????

I did level 1 last year. Agree with G2D on his views.

Insurance - normal insurance usually excludes track days. I investigated special cover - broker called Pit and Paddock - but it's catastrophe cover only (basically, not as good) and they exclude what they call 'the pretty bits' - ie all the stuff that's likely to get mashed. And it's very expensive - around £400 - so I didn't other. If you drop it - well, you drop it.
Old 13-02-09, 06:15 PM   #12
Mej
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
I did level 1 last year. Agree with G2D on his views.

Insurance - normal insurance usually excludes track days. I investigated special cover - broker called Pit and Paddock - but it's catastrophe cover only (basically, not as good) and they exclude what they call 'the pretty bits' - ie all the stuff that's likely to get mashed. And it's very expensive - around £400 - so I didn't other. If you drop it - well, you drop it.
Looked at the same broker earlier, like you say it is what it is, if i bin it, i will worry about it then.

Mej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-09, 11:00 PM   #13
sweepdoggydog

Default Re: California Superbike School?

I have done both level I & II. If I’m honest I didn't think it was as great as everyone makes out especially considering the cost and I definitely won't be doing level III.

If I could go back in time I would save my money, buy both twist of the wrist books (which cover what is taught in the classes) study them and spend the money on trackdays. I think if you compared a rider who had done this to a rider that had just done level I & II and no trackdays the trackday rider would definitely be a better/faster rider.

Just my 2p!
Old 13-02-09, 11:08 PM   #14
shonadoll

What sort of money are you talking about to do one of these days? I've heard only positive things about them.
Old 14-02-09, 09:58 AM   #15
sweepdoggydog

Around £350 -£400 each level, depending on which track you do it at.
Old 14-02-09, 10:45 AM   #16
shonadoll

Cool, thanks.
Old 02-04-09, 03:31 PM   #17
flymo
Mega Poster

I'm planning on starting CSS this year with level 1. I've been racing for close on 10 years now but its still worth stepping back into the theory now and again to re-evaluate where you are.

I had a good chat with one of the instructors today to understand what it was all about and he believed I would still benefit. Level 1 apparently does not imply a particular level of riding skill or experience, the group is still split so that total novices ride together and more experienced riders ride together.

I no longer ride a road bike only race. I'm regularly fighting for top three positions in a race and have had a few wins. With racing though you tend to improve in chunks and then only make small improvements until the next big jump. From CSS I'm looking to see if steping back to basics allows me to make the next leap of faith in terms of lap times.

A little pricey but I think you probably get what you pay for in this case.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 04:13 PM   #18
John 675

Exclamation Re: California Superbike School?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepdoggydog View Post
I have done both level I & II. If I’m honest I didn't think it was as great as everyone makes out especially considering the cost and I definitely won't be doing level III.

If I could go back in time I would save my money, buy both twist of the wrist books (which cover what is taught in the classes) study them and spend the money on trackdays. I think if you compared a rider who had done this to a rider that had just done level I & II and no trackdays the trackday rider would definitely be a better/faster rider.

Just my 2p!
I think it is what you make of it really.. It made leon camier a better racer alledgedly but it is without a doubt a race school.. That's why it's 100% track based ... If your obsessed with racing and doing it correctly I think it's perfect but if your doing it more for road riding then your better off doing IAMS instead imo.
Books are good for reference also IMO but being taught and shown surely is better ? Trackdays are great especially when your forced off the track by some **** that shouldn't of been in the novices..
Old 02-04-09, 05:54 PM   #19
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Depends what you want out of your road riding IMO.

I'd love to be able to afford these and compare the relative merits of this stuff and classic advanced training from the POV of hooning it on the road.
Old 02-04-09, 08:12 PM   #20
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Why do you have to ride your own bike? You don't need a license if you're not on the road.
Maybe not, hooning round a farm, but the day's organisers/track owners etc. do require you to have passed your test

As for 33bhp - doubt it would make that much difference - just give them a call to find out
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote