SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-09-12, 07:19 AM   #11
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Default Re: 9/11 respect

This is exactly the reason why I rarely come on here. If someone put's up a thread, why do people feel the need to go and slate it / call it "guff" etc. Someone puts up a RIP thread and it turns into a slagfest....wrong IMO. There are certain threads where people are perfectly fine to put up their views / have an argument - but not on a RIP / remembrance thread - irrespective of peoples views. You should respect the posters opinions and views by keeping TF away. If you don't like it.....don't bloody read the thing.

RIP to all those who lost their lives, I knew someone who was supposed to be in the towers that day and a family member lost his best friend in the towers.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-12, 07:50 AM   #12
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
with respect, if I were derailing this thread I'd talk about pigeons doing ballet.

My post is on point and is of a different point of view on the same thing. Feel free to disagree with anything I say. I respect your right to say it.

If one were to start a post with a different point of view on each thread there's be a an "I love..." and "I hate..." for everything. And that would polarise a very balanced Forum.

I'll let those who want to remember remember now.. Me? I'm going fishing with Pigeons doing ballet..

C

Well, the thread is to pay respects, not share your views on whether you want to or not... but if you feel we all need to hear your opinion on this while we go about paying our respects then so be it. Why should you care about interrupting others peaceful intentions?

How very good of you to let those of us who want to remember remember now.....we should forever be in your debt.
Old 12-09-12, 08:19 AM   #13
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
That's because they LOST!!!

I'm certain if they had won a major war they would celebrate their fallen instead of being embarrassed about them.
Embarrassed about the past maybe, but not about the people.

Wars are started by politicians with no face saving options remaining, and by madmen with agendas, and by finance.

I was reading about the U boat men of WW2, there are a few shipwrecks I plan to dive, including U boats and ships sunk by them. They were still just young lads, not inherently evil. In the late war they went out despite near certainty of being killed. Win or lose I have a profound respect for them.
Old 12-09-12, 08:57 AM   #14
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post

I was reading about the U boat men of WW2, there are a few shipwrecks I plan to dive, including U boats and ships sunk by them. They were still just young lads, not inherently evil. In the late war they went out despite near certainty of being killed. Win or lose I have a profound respect for them.
I agree. My father in law was stationed on HMS Duke of York when they chased down and sank the Scharnhorst. A little later they were sharing their rations with survivors that had been plucked from the freezing water.

I have the utmost respect for people who somehow became caught up in the effects of 9/11. I too was watching it live on TV when it was unfolding, very scary to experience.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-12, 09:15 AM   #15
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:

Wars are started by politicians with no face saving options remaining, and by madmen with agendas, and by finance.

Totally agree.

To be honest, I am quite shocked this thread has been turned into this by one person slating other people's right to pay tribute to people who died! No matter what the cause of deaths were.

Like I said earlier, it's not your opinion people don' t like Berlin, it's your right to have that and I actually see why someone would have that opinion. That however, does not excuse you to call other peoples thoughts/prayers/respects flor the thousands of people who died "GUFF".
Old 12-09-12, 02:54 PM   #16
Spank86

well this thread is throroughly ruined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanannaMan View Post
I won't go into all the supplies we sent you on passenger ships the first two years untill the Germans gave up protesting and started sinking them.

Would they be the ones we only finshed paying for in 2006?
Old 12-09-12, 04:50 PM   #17
Specialone

Quote:

Actually ive watched many programs about war etc and you're right, there is a mutual respect very present in sailors and sub mariners who fought each other.
Dont know if its still there but there was german uboat that was raised and brought to liverpool docks, really wanted to see that as i watched a documentary about it.
Anyway...
Most people on the front line (with exception of war against terror) know their opponents are just following orders the same as them.

I still stand by my previous statement though, if germany and the japs had won, im sure they would celebrate their fallen differently, certainly in a more prominent way.

Nuff derailing for now.
Old 12-09-12, 07:29 PM   #18
widepants

I sometimes think the Dutch , Germans etc moved on from ther war alot quicker than we did . My ex's gran is Dutch and her family were in the resitance , Her grandad was a footsoldier in the German army . Didnt stop them seeing the person inside and not the flag
widepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-12, 07:54 PM   #19
Spank86

The Dutch?

The people who wave banners during international football matches against the Germans saying "my granny wants her bike back"?
Old 12-09-12, 08:26 PM   #20
widepants

lmfao
widepants is offline   Reply With Quote