SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-01-14, 05:51 PM   #1
granty101

Default Rear brake problem '11 Gladius

Hi,

I have a 2011 SFV 650 Gladius and I problem that is driving me nuts. I had a puncture and had to take the loose wheel to garage to get new tyre. I then fitted it myself and this is where the problems started.

I thought if I too the brake caliper off it would make the wheel easier to fit (I realise this was wrong now) and I ended up unscrewing the the Sliding pin and the caliper mounting bolt.

Cut a long story short, the wheel is back on and caliper replaced but when I ride the bike the rear brake disc gets red hots without the brake being pressed. I took it to a bike garage and they said that where the sliding bolt sits was cross threaded and re threaded it for me but the slinging bolt is about 1mm from sitting completely flush once screwed in. Would this be enough to cause a problem ? everything else looks Ok to me.

Many thanks

Paul.
Old 01-01-14, 06:01 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rear brake problem '11 Gladius

Hi Paul,
If the rear brakes are being applied without the pedal then either the caliper isn't sliding properly, or the pads aren't retracting cleanly (The brake pedal could be sticking too, but this seems less likely given the events).

Remove the caliper, and check that the 2 parts are sliding cleanly. This should help with eliminating this.

Generally when the caliper comes off the disc the pads, and pistons are pushed back slightly. If there is sufficient build up of dirt on the pistons some can get pushed behind the seals and cause the pistons to stick. It may be worth pumping the piston out just a little and checking it slides smoothly, then cleaning up the surface with some water and drying it off. Ideally lubricate it with a little red rubber grease and then push the piston back in.

Jambo
Old 01-01-14, 07:06 PM   #3
granty101

Thanks Jambo I'll try this tomorrow.

When I first took it to the bike shop the brakes were definately binding as you could not spin the wheel easily with it on the rear stand, the wheel now spins whilst on the paddock stand but something is not right whilst riding it.

I had a horrible feeling I'd destroyed the caliper but your reply has given me hope
Old 02-01-14, 11:39 AM   #4
jambo
Mega Poster

While you're looking do check the rear brake pedal returns cleanly, sometimes some corrosion builds up in there and the lever sticks down a little, which can cause an issue while riding.

Jambo