SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-06-07, 12:01 PM   #1
rs_tubby

Default Making the sv quicker

Now i know i havent got one nor have i ridden one yet but i am more into a bike which has quicker acceleration than top end, now i dont want a bike which only does 100mph but i have no desire to really go above this sort of speed, i have heard the sv naked sprockets will make it quicker but what will things like a K&N, exhaust system and a power commander do and what else could i do to it?? thanks for any help
Old 03-06-07, 12:52 PM   #2
Baph

Default Re: Making the sv quicker

When I got my bike(SV650S K6), it was happily capable of an indicated 147mph. Twice as fast as you're legally allowed to go. More than enough bike for the UK roads IMO (not taking into consideration things like suspension).

Then I changed the gearing, keeping the standard sprocket, but going up 2 teeth on the rear. I'm told this is the same as naked gears. At first, I noticed a massive difference in acceleration! Now it's not so noticeable, probably because I'm used to it. You do loose some top end, and a comfortable cruising speed is a little lower than it was before.

Next I removed the snorkel (slight increase in air flow). I didn't notice any power benefits here, but the induction roar was nice. I'm still running on standard a standard air filter.

I removed the snow shovel & fitted a smaller plate with an evotech tailtidy. Again, didn't see any power benefits. This & the snorkel have probably helped fuel consumption though.

Next was an aftermarket can, a high level Scorpion. Again, no noticeable power gain/loss, but stick it on a Dyno & you'd see something different on the graph. Again, this could of helped with fuel consumption. I'm not sure how a full system would affect the bike, especially without a Dyno run to re-map the ECU.

I reckon power commanders aren't needed, since you can re-map the stock ECU anyway.

A K&N high-flow air filter will obviously allow more air in, but all that's likely to do is lean out fuel mixture a little. It depends if your bike is running rich or lean as to the affect more air will have. It'll either get you closer to perfect air/fuel ratio (and therefore more torque at a given RPM), or it'll lean it out too much.
Old 03-06-07, 01:24 PM   #3
Steve H

On a ride out yesterday, I was lucky enough to come up against a Ferrari 355 Spyder. For those of you that say an SV is not that fast, I promise you that the SV beat quite soundly the Ferrari from standing up to at least 70-80mph.
I know it is not big, nor clever, but the road was clear and this guy was trying to make a point. Bike is an SVS with race can and naked gearing, nothing else.
I was astounded how well the SV did. Don't tell me off for this bit of 'boy racing'
Anyway, £2,000 worth of bike 1 £70,000 odd of Italian Exotica 0.
Old 03-06-07, 01:26 PM   #4
rs_tubby

no harm in that is there just goes to show that you dont need to spend silly amounts of money to get the buzz and beat a stupid ferrari owner.
Old 03-06-07, 01:39 PM   #5
Steve H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_tubby View Post
no harm in that is there just goes to show that you dont need to spend silly amounts of money to get the buzz and beat a stupid ferrari owner.
Seriously, the guy seemed distraught. Lets hope he did not know much about bikes, and thought it was a really high powered sports bike that I was on.
If that was me, I would have gone straight home and put the car up for sale!
Old 03-06-07, 02:28 PM   #6
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H View Post
On a ride out yesterday, I was lucky enough to come up against a Ferrari 355 Spyder. For those of you that say an SV is not that fast, I promise you that the SV beat quite soundly the Ferrari from standing up to at least 70-80mph.
I know it is not big, nor clever, but the road was clear and this guy was trying to make a point. Bike is an SVS with race can and naked gearing, nothing else.
I was astounded how well the SV did. Don't tell me off for this bit of 'boy racing'
Anyway, £2,000 worth of bike 1 £70,000 odd of Italian Exotica 0.
I am not sure of the ferrari stats but i would of thought that it would of been pretty close.....IMO the spyder was probably badly driven if you kaned it that badly! After all a car/bike is only as good as the monkey in/on it
Old 03-06-07, 02:54 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

I'll let you in on a secret here... A tuned SV isn't actually that faster in road terms than a standard one. I find mine much nicer and more rewarding to ride quick, but it's not going to leave you for dead... Unles it's on a bumpy road anyway
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 03:08 PM   #8
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
I'll let you in on a secret here... A tuned SV isn't actually that faster in road terms than a standard one. I find mine much nicer and more rewarding to ride quick, but it's not going to leave you for dead... Unles it's on a bumpy road anyway
Indeed, not only that but the £many it'd cost you to get a significant gain, you could just have bought a faster bike to start with

Anyhoo, a 14t front sprocket is a happy medium between 'pep' and reasonable revvs at motorway speeds on the SV ... and it'll only cost you a tenner and 15 mins to fit
Old 03-06-07, 03:14 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Indeed, not only that but the £many it'd cost you to get a significant gain, you could just have bought a faster bike to start with
Mine's still about the price of a new one, mind
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 03:44 PM   #10
Steve H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post
I am not sure of the ferrari stats but i would of thought that it would of been pretty close.....IMO the spyder was probably badly driven if you kaned it that badly! After all a car/bike is only as good as the monkey in/on it
I promise you that the guy in the Ferrari was on a mission. Heard him hit the rev limiter a couple of times, but then so did I.
I say, soundly beat, at around 80ish (private road of course) the bike had about a two bike lengths lead.

I know, not big and not clever.