SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 19-06-05, 06:55 PM   #1
bendelfont

Default Good roads around Bristol - advice?

I have been looking for good biking roads around Bristol, but so far the closest good place i have found is around Brecon, which is a trek when you want a quick burn - can anyone recommend some?

Thanks
Old 19-06-05, 06:56 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Cant really recommend any that close to you as not that familiar with that area that well

I'm organinsing a rideout not far from you though, details here if you are interested

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=24052

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-05, 07:15 PM   #3
Haxsaw

The A46 north of Bath (going past Westonbirt) is a great ride.

I quite often take A420 east, turn left (north) onto the A46 and stay on that until signs for Dursley. Turn west and go through Dursley to the A38 and come back south to Bristol on that.
Old 19-06-05, 07:21 PM   #4
bendelfont

Default Thanks

Thanks for that - think i'll go give that a go now - great day for it

Cheers mate
Old 19-06-05, 09:57 PM   #5
Enzo

I like to take the A37 and then the A39 to Wells, I make up my mind what to do when I get there!
Old 20-06-05, 07:27 AM   #6
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo
I like to take the A37 and then the A39 to Wells, I make up my mind what to do when I get there!
Yes, good advice.

Go south through to Churchill, then straight on and up Cheddar (via Shipham is nicer way to Cheddar) then youve got all the Mendips to play in. Chew Magna, Chew Stoke, through back to Bath etc. Alternatively take the Bath signed road out of Churchill, then up through Burrington Combe, over the tops down into Wells etc. Loads of bikes usually in the Mendips and Cheddar is a big meet area. About an hours round trip playing.

Of course over the old Severn Bridge you've got Wye Valley to Monmouth, then loop back over through forest of Dean and drop back over the bridge. About an hour round trip. Or go further to Whitchurch, the Symonds Yat East, up through forest.

For east, the run out to Avebury and around there is good, but a little further.
Old 20-06-05, 08:56 AM   #7
minky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich
Go south through to Churchill, then straight on and up Cheddar (via Shipham is nicer way to Cheddar)

Whoaaah there fella

I'd suggest everyone stay the hell away from Cheddar at the moment, they are resurfacing with 'gravel!' and it's bloody treacherous

Head into Wells on the 37 then toward Cheddar, there are some lovely twisties and it's quite a quick road with some lovely scenary. On your way back head toward Churchill then either head up through Burrington Combe (like cheddar but safer at the mo) then out to Bristol or pick up the Bristol /Bath road at the bottom of Burrington

Maybe head toward Burnham On Sea? Lovely bag of chips by the seaside

Round here the choices are endless, I'm in the head out and decide en-route camp, makes it more fun
Old 20-06-05, 10:31 AM   #8
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by minky
I'd suggest everyone stay the hell away from Cheddar at the moment, they are resurfacing with 'gravel!' and it's bloody treacherous
Really? Thats a pain. The surface up Burrington is superb I had hoped we might get that in the gorge.

Must admit I use your method, Minky. Head out stop and top if Burrington and make a decision then. Lots of options up there.

Ideas for a mendips ride finishing with chips in Burnham are formulating....
Old 20-06-05, 10:40 AM   #9
minky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich

Really? Thats a pain. The surface up Burrington is superb I had hoped we might get that in the gorge.

Must admit I use your method, Minky. Head out stop and top if Burrington and make a decision then. Lots of options up there.

Ideas for a mendips ride finishing with chips in Burnham are formulating....

Hoped for that too, went up there a couple of days after they'd done some stretches and it was awful, slip sliding round those bends is not fun. They appear to have only done odd sections too

I could hear the paint being chipped off my bellypan as we rode

If I were you I'd head out of Bristol on the 37, turn to Cheddar by the Mendip Inn (superb food) then turn toward Burrington, head left at the bottom toward Churchill and pickup the Cheddar road. Through the bottom of the Gorge and towards Axbridge then left onto Burnham.

*watch out for the camera on that stretch*

Lovely roads and not a bad distance either for you

Could always go straight on at the bottom of Burrington on the way back and pickup the Bath / Bristol road for a bit of variety

Bear in mind the festival starts on Wed so we'll be knee deep in vans, cars and diesel spewing buses / coaches
Old 20-06-05, 10:46 AM   #10
Anonymous

Whats the festival and what village is the Mendip Inn in or near, I cant picture it?