SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-06-05, 02:19 PM   #1
MattTheLoony

Default Touring maintenance and service intervals

Hi,

I've done 830ish miles in the past week and found i've had to tighten the chain twice and have lubed up the chain lots too. Have been checking oil and brake levels but is there anything else I should be checking or doing?

Also I don't have the owners manual so it would be handy to know how often the service intervals are? My last one was at 14K I think but I had the full 15K service.
Old 26-06-05, 03:15 PM   #2
04SV650S

in terms of he chain the tightening is really gonna depend on hard hard you work your bike. If your always have the throttle pined then it will cause more tension on the chain which will cause it to loosen quicker.

For the chain lube it would depend on the conditions of the road your are travelling. If its wet it causes the lube to dispear quicker of if there is lots dust and dirt on the roads you are travelling it will also cause the chain lube to dry up quicker.

I would actually recommend using a chain wax as they are also less messy. Try using Bell-Ray. it's pretty good in my opinion, plus it's O-ring safe and non fling technology.

For best results I recommend cleaning the chain before appling the lube then prop the bike up on a the rear set, or a jack with the bike in nuteral and apply the lube at the lower portion of the chain that is closest to the floor between the two sprockets. And the best time to apply the lube is when the chain is hot so it has a chance to seep into all the places it needs to get to make it more effective. To do this go for a quick ride first then when you back from the ride apply the lube right away while the chain is still warm.

If you don't have the owners manual you should be able to find it online.
Here is a list of search results to get you started in that direction:
http://www.google.ca/search?biw=1272...e+Search&meta=
Old 26-06-05, 08:24 PM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

make sure you're not setting the chain too tight. It needs a lot more slack than many folk imagine.

The chain tightens as the suspension compresses. I checked it on a curvy recently while lubing the suspension linkage bearings and could lift the wheel full travel. The tightest point is with almost fully compressed suspension.

On a curvy you need to be able to hold at least 2 links flat against the rubbing strip on the underside of the swingarm with gentle finger pressure. Any less and the chain goes tight when the suspension compresses, which will stretch it quickly.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-05, 09:10 PM   #4
daddy_sperm

Suzuki recommended that I check my chain tension while sitting on the bike.. I over tightened my chain once and got a whining noise under hard accelaration so I brought it back to the garage and thats what they said..

havent had that problem since.

while sitting on it have the book amount of slack.. iirc 30mm

cheers darryl