SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

East Anglian Revolution If you're based in East Anglia, then this could be for you.

Old 30-07-07, 10:03 PM   #1
2mths

Default This evening I was mostly...

Finished work, went to gym for light workout (bad back so didn't want to do to much) came home, watched an episode or two of scrubs, played some play money poker and got to about 8:15 and thought I'm bored.

So Billy no mates here pulled up Autoroute and set about looking for some new roads to try out. Badly printed out copies of the map stuffed in the tank bag base chucked at 90o on the bike I set off about 8:40 with fingers crossed.

The final route was something like this and believe me the A43 did not figure in my original plans.

I have to say the result was imho pretty blinding, despite doing the first half in fading light and the second half in the dark. I will be doing it again and I can think of two Northant's peeps who are likely to get taken round whether they like it or not.

It also means I now have a interesting route to Southam, thus making attending the meet there a much more attractive proposition.

If anyone is daft enough to want a guide round the above (or similar) give us a shout - any excuse.

Once I've done it a couple more times (and without getting lost) I think I'll propose it for my first organised ride.

[Wondering if I'm spoiling the supprise by posting the route here now but hey-ho]

Last edited by 2mths; 30-07-07 at 10:10 PM.
Old 31-07-07, 02:07 PM   #2
petevtwin650

Default Re: This evening I was mostly...

Looks OK 2months. Shame about the A43, but you can't have everything.

Seems like your expanding your local knowledge.

Look forward to doing this as a group rideout.
Old 31-07-07, 02:24 PM   #3
2mths

It'll be interesting to see what you think of it after you've been round.

This was done in an attempt to improve my knowledge. Obviously it's only the start of a very long process, but it is a start!

I have already thought about the prospect of leading you round. I'm a bit worried that you and Lissa will fall asleep though. It's one thing playing follow the leader, quite another trying to set the pace*.

I plan to do it a few times before leading it. Not just for navigation but also to try and evaluate the risks on the route to try and limit them on a group run. There are a few corners to beware of (none as bad as those on the Rutland Ring) but also areas where there are stones in the road and mud on the road. It would not be a route to do during harvesting as the tractor risk would be very high.

*I do understand that I don't want to be trying to set a pace, just doing what I can do as safely as possible if\when I lead.
Old 31-07-07, 10:20 PM   #4
2mths

Ran it again this afternoon. It didn't seem as good.
Lots of mitigating reasons though. Going earlier meant sun was lower. So visibilty was worse as it was a mix of bright sunshine and dark shadows (tinted visor worn today). A road near the start had been tar'd and chipped. Traffic was heavier. Ran low on fuel so had to take it easy the second half. Finally I tried to correct some of yesterdays navigation mistakes but in doing so made some more taking me down worse roads.

The run today didn't feel like something I'd want to or bother taking someone round. Will probably run it again tomorrow, later, and try to get the navigation spot on. I'll update this thread again then if anyone is watching it.

Tonights route was something like the below. It was closer to what I intended originally. However looking on google maps and autoroute maps I can see it can be further refined. Still one road I'm missing and there are some villages that could probably be gone round with a bit of extra navigating.

Last edited by 2mths; 31-07-07 at 10:33 PM.