SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-07-15, 12:29 PM   #331
Nutsinatin

Default Re: TPS Adjustment Step-by-Step Pictorial Guide

Well I've finally had a go at this on my K9 today, it's fantastic! I lubed and adjusted my throttle cables before making this adjustment (managed to get it to just over 1400 rpm) and that snatch opening the throttle I put down to being a twin is gone, it's beautiful. I thought I'd just add some pictures of the TPS sensor on the K9 for anyone looking for it, with just the one screw it's dead easy to adjust.
I also got my torx bits from here for £2.73 with free postage, don't know why they sell them as a pack of three but for that price who cares!
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-15, 12:40 AM   #332
Finnmark

I just did this adjustment on my new-to-me '07 SV and it was easy and worked beautifully. My throttle is now very linear and easy to modulate.

THANKS!!!
Old 07-08-15, 03:48 AM   #333
Nectar90

Just finished adjusting my 2007 SV650. I think I spent more time reading this thread than it took to make the adjustment. I was idling around 1250-1300 rpms and was able to get things set (for the high bar) around 1500 rpms.

I'm really not mechanically inclined which pays tribute to the great instructions. Thanks to coombest and everyone else's input. I've only had it out for a quick 2 minute ride so I'm looking forward to taking it for a longer ride to feel the results.
Old 19-09-15, 06:41 PM   #334
AlexAdams

My recently acquired SK6 with 1900 miles needs the TPS adjusting, the line is jumping around 3000rpm, the bike felt jerky the throttle whilst doing a U-turn on the test ride so I'm looking forward to a smoother ride.

Can anyone tell me the injection type before I start searching, I assume it's alpha N,TPS and air temp sensors only?
Old 20-09-15, 05:45 PM   #335
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexAdams View Post
Can anyone tell me the injection type before I start searching, I assume it's alpha N,TPS and air temp sensors only?
Yes, there's no lambda / oxygen sensor in the exhaust on the K6 and earlier machines. Not sure about the K7s etc as they got twin-plug heads and some other changes.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-15, 11:01 AM   #336
AlexAdams

Thanks for response. Confirmation of Alpha-N linked below as well:

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34230

MAP (manifold pressure) / TPS (Throttle Position) / IAT (Intake Air temp) / CPS (Crank position & speed) sensors are used for injection control.

Given the above I'm surprised the bikes run at all with the TPS being out from factory or being corrected after running out.

SK7 onwards runs closed loop with lambda feedback, I don't know how different the system is or if the earlier system is in fact lambda compatible (which wouldn't be surprising if it was).
Old 21-09-15, 01:05 PM   #337
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexAdams View Post
Given the above I'm surprised the bikes run at all with the TPS being out from factory or being corrected after running out.
I guess the TPS being out of whack just means that throttle response and low-rpm running isn't ideal .... the ECU will see the manifold pressure change as the throttle butterflies start to open, and will add fuel accordingly, but the fuel/air ratio won't be quite as it should be, because the ECU's not getting input from the TPS ....
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-15, 02:16 PM   #338
zman

Quote:
Originally Posted by veenee View Post
I have done mine today, I am very pleased with the result. Much less jerky! I got used to using the clutch, so now I have to get rid of that habit...
It was set up at about 3500 rpm and I managed to get it down to 1500, so there is quite obvious difference.

oh, I also used insulated paper clip which works great as it snaps in perfectly
sounded exactly like my adjustment. 3500 rpm and the insulated paper clip.
I Should've done this months ago. Uturns and roundabouts are so much smoother now.
it took me a good 30 minutes before i realised i didn't have a idle adjustment screw on my K6 though.
thanks for the write up, OP!

edit: what would happen if i set the cross over point at (or under) idle? instead of just above idle?
fuel wastage?

Last edited by zman; 21-11-15 at 02:18 PM.
Old 23-11-15, 11:20 AM   #339
Corny Gizmo

Yes, it would run rich and probably bog down when you give it some from idle.
Old 23-01-16, 05:33 PM   #340
DomP

I carried out this adjustment today, mine was moving at around 3500 and I've set it at around 1400ish. The only thing I noticed was that it didn't start so easily after, whether that was because it was warm or as a result of the adjustment or even just coincidence?

Took longer to get up to temperature than it did to do the adjustment, not tried it out yet but as I've only ridden it the15 miles back from where I bought it I haven't got much to compare it to. I did notice it was a bit snatchy though. Bring on dry weather
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote