SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-08-05, 01:49 PM   #1
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Balancing your carbs

Last time I had Dusty my curvey dealer serviced it felt absolutely fantastic as I rode home, it flew with great throttle response and pickup. Since then, and certainly recently, things have been a lot worse, with lumpy running and poor response. So I bought a set of Morgan Carbtune II and this morning hooked them up (after swearing a lot at getting the front pickup attached). The finishing touch to my own servicing found the balances way out. A few minutes of tweaking and - done.

FLIP, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!! I just got back from my first post-tune run and whooooosh.

If a mecahnically cack-handed office jockey like me can do it, anyone can. Get out there and do it!
Old 06-08-05, 02:48 PM   #2
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Nice one Trev!
Morgans are well worth the dosh indeed!
You need loooonnnngggg pliers to get the cap off the front pot, & a spare incase it splits!

Cheers
Old 06-08-05, 07:54 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

For your future ease of balancing, remove the front take off cap and instead fit a length of tubing to the stub about 4-5" long, plug the end with a suitable screw or bolt, lead the tube up above the airbox on the right hand front frame tube - near where the bunch of electrical connectors are - when balancing connect the guage tube to that instead, this relieves you of the necessity to faff about down at the front carb when balancing.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 07:56 PM   #4
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
For your future ease of balancing, remove the front take off cap and instead fit a length of tubing to the stub about 4-5" long, plug the end with a suitable screw or bolt, lead the tube up above the airbox on the right hand front frame tube - near where the bunch of electrical connectors are - when balancing connect the guage tube to that instead, this relieves you of the necessity to faff about down at the front carb when balancing.
S'wot I did!

Carb balancing is now a piece of the proverbial.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 08:20 AM   #5
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I will probably do something like that at some point too. Hunting round the FAQ section on the main site has a similar one with copper piping but a length of vacuum hose and one of the restrictor tubes from the Morgan as a sleeve for the stock blanking plug on the end should do just as well.

Out of curiosity, my Haynes told me to remove the air filter housing first. I read that as take the airbox off, which I did (easier than I thought it would be). Do you guys do the same, just take out the filter, or leave everything in place??
Old 07-08-05, 02:47 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

It's possible, but a little awkward, to reach the adjuster screw with the airbox in place. What I normally do with an SV that has the tube fitted is check the balance with the airbox on, and only remove it if an adjustment is needed.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 04:13 PM   #7
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Thanks for that Sid. I found that I could not quite get to the screws that hold the crankcase breather tube* chamber thingy by the adjuster screw so took the whole airbox off. Easy enough so no big deal, especially as I don't intend to balance the things every other weekend or anything.

After an extended run out this morning I am still grinning about the improvement in pick-up by the way...
Old 07-08-05, 10:47 PM   #8
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

i feel like mine needs this doin..

she just isnt as peachy sweet !!

dues a 7K service- can i ask them to do it for me?
or am i best doin it meself and learnin for the future.

ignorance where mechanics r concerned so can I ask>>?? what maked em go outta sync in the first place please???? and how often does it happen then?

and- if they outta sync.wots the symptoms?
Old 08-08-05, 07:10 AM   #9
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

The adjuster screw has no locknut on it and relys on the spring cage it's in to hold it where you leave it. Because of the odd angle and it's daft positioning relative to the fram rails I used a 2.5cm long screwdriver drill bit to make the tweaks. It needed no proessure and turned easily. Because of that it's going to vibrate itself out of true after a while.

Symptoms are a more snatchy pick-up, spluttering at low revs, increased vibration, tendency to stall more often, decreased get-up-and-go. It should be done at a full service service if you take it to a dealer but ask to make sure it's covered - they may of course add it on with 30-45 minutes extra time charged though. Getting the gauges on is the fiddly bit, taking the airbox off not too difficult and balancing them is the easy bit, with just one screw to turn.
Old 08-08-05, 01:21 PM   #10
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

cheers Trev

sorry SIR Trev