SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-12-07, 11:04 PM   #1
adam_castell

Default fork rebuild

im currently in the process of rebuilding my bike, im working on the forks at the mo, ive got them stripped down ready to put new oil seals, progressive springs, and oil in. previously one fork was leaking oil and this was due to an imperfection on the stantion which damaged the seal (twice!!) so for the second seal replacment i found this imperfection and managed to polish it out.

im also looking at the top bush's at the mo, they are made of copper and have a teflon coating, but the teflon coating is starting to wear off, im guessing they will need replacement... what do you think or know??

i rang a supplier and they said it will be about £25 for a pair, but will not be able to get them to me till after the new year (my bike is stripped in the kitchen at the moment and i was hopping to have it done by christmas) any ideas on suppliers?

cheers
Old 19-12-07, 12:37 AM   #2
zadar

Default Re: fork rebuild

you should replace them.
Old 19-12-07, 12:51 AM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

Indeed, although the new oil, springs and balanced air gaps will make a noticable difference, if you have them stripped already and know the bushes are worn, then it makes sense to change them,but if of course you need the bike before the new year, then they are probably going to be ok, so I woldn't loose sleep over it to much.

Try Robinson foundry or SVdirect for the spare ( I'm sure someone will put up a link)

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-07, 12:50 PM   #4
chazzyb

Just a thought; are you sure the Teflon is wearing off the load bearing surface? I looked at mine and thought the same, but I was looking at the outside, not the inner bearing surface. Doh!