SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-11-12, 03:39 PM   #1
Fallout
Mega Poster

Default Beer jacket and driving style hypothesis

The Background

When you drink you lose your inhibitions and you show your true colours. This is debatable, but I think a lot of people would agree with this statement. For example, if you always get lairy and want to fight when you're drunk, then you're actually an uptight little sod who suppresses your rage when sober (you probably have a small penis). If you're the overly friendly with strangers type, sitting on the laps of everyone who'll let you, you're probably a self concious attention seeker, desperate for some sort of recognition you probably didn't get from your dad. Where as if your mullerd self is exactly the same as your sober self, just more so, then you're probably being true to yourself and relatively free of suppressed psychological baggage.

If you're in agreement, read on ...

Hypothesis

Since getting behind the wheel of a car puts you in a protective cocoon of sorts, shielding you from most personal interactions with other road users, it has a similar effect to alcohol. Alcohol suppressed inhibitions and stops you caring what people think, and being protected by a car provides a similar environment. Therefore how you treat road users is a true reflection of your real personality outside of the car.

So people who drive like nobs are going to be nobs when off their noggins on voddy and are just suppressing this behaviour when sober. So the excuse of "I'm a nice guy but I drive like a nob" is not actually valid. You are nob, you just suppress it so that you can have friends and people won't hate you.

Agree? Disagree? Discuss.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)

Last edited by Fallout; 20-11-12 at 03:41 PM.
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-12, 03:44 PM   #2
pookie

Default Re: Beer jacket and driving style hypothesis

driving doesnt suppress your conscience.. assuming the individual has one.
Fact - if you are acting like a nob..chances are you are one ..
KeithD - please
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-12, 03:47 PM   #3
Dicky Ticker

Using the theory behind this I can't work myself out
When I don't drink I can stay awake
When I do drink[trollied] all I want to do is go to sleep
Old 20-11-12, 04:07 PM   #4
Spank86

I also ride like a nob, explain that?

(Oh right, now I remember you're only my friend because your bike is too slow to get away)
Old 20-11-12, 04:07 PM   #5
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

I can't remember the last time I DIDN'T want to sit on people's laps!

I agree with pookie.... and to add they also have tiny penis', might be why they whined up the window and refuse to get out the car.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-12, 05:47 PM   #6
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

I drive very considerately but ride like a lunatic.
But when Im drunk I drive like a lunatic and ride very considerately...how can you explain this?
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-12, 05:48 PM   #7
Bri w

When I first got a job that involved lots of driving, circa 40k a year, I was Mr Angry. But the more I drove, the more I realised there absolutely no point whatsoever in getting wound up. Nowadays if someone is being a Richard on the road I just let them go enjoy themselves.

But I've still got the tiniest teenie weenie little weapon this side of Christendom

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-12, 06:17 PM   #8
Dipper

I was at a BBQ a couple of months ago and this chap who'd had a few too many and was acting a complete nob. Then he got on to the subject of driving, telling us all about middle lane hogs and how bad other drivers are and went on to tell us all about his superb driving skills in his super powerful 3 litre Jaguar and indeed it appears he is a complete nob on the road too.

Funnily enough other times I've met him he's been sober and always come across as a decent bloke.
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-12, 06:42 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

as a drunk. depending on my mood i can be very funny, just want to go to sleep or a violent little so and so but most of the time i just like to 'people watch' and talk lots and lots of verbal diarrhoea. as a sober person i'm quite placid till i loose it then it's armageddon and this happens in the blink of an eye.

as a driver. most of the time i don't give a shizz at other peoples mistakes (we all make them), will let other drivers out at junctions and slip roads etc.etc, let other drivers merge and basically an all round 'sensible' driver until that is someone endangers my and or occupants life by being a greedy self indulgent excuse of a human being then i get the red mist. if someone acknowledges the fact they have made a mistake then all is forgiven and i just go about my business.

yes i have a teeny weeny manhood but it works.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-12, 07:42 PM   #10
Winder

I'm a considerate driver, and a happy drunk but when sober and not behind the wheel I'm a complete tosser. I should probably just drink more