SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-06-06, 08:29 AM   #1
Skip
Mega Poster

Default Snetterton track evening - Thursday 22nd June

I am doing a track evening at Snetterton with Focused Events on Thursday and was just wondering if anyone else was going? Its only my second track day on the SV - hope it goes as well as the last one!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-06, 07:57 AM   #2
Skip
Mega Poster

Well not that anyone probably cares but my track evening went superbly! AS last time several sportsbike types (all the gear and no idea) were dispatched through the Esses, Bomb Hole and Coram - such a shame that the little 650 is lacking a few ponies on the straights - other than that it was brilliant! This is my second track day on it and I have come to a few conclusions

1) The brakes arent really up to slowing heavily from 120+ mph!
2) Metzeler Z6 are not a track day tyre! Did the job, but by the end of each session were feeling a bit squirmy...
3) It really isnt quick enough for a power circuit like Snetterton, bikes that are dispatched through the corners and in braking areas can pass you again (if they choose to, not all do) on the straights (I guess people dont like being passed by a little naked commuter bike!)

So as I said last time, if you are thinking of doing a track day - do it!!
Old 23-06-06, 08:09 AM   #3
Blue_SV650S

I didn’t catch this thread before you went!!

I for one am interested in hearing about your exploits

I did a trackday at Silverstone GP circuit last month, I took my SV out for a session

I concur that the brakes simply aren’t up for the job when you are talking track speeds!!! After my brief ride I said to myself that I wouldn’t ever take it to a trackday again unless I had done something with the brakes (and front suspesntion)!!! I had performance friction race pads in there, and braided lines but they were still very lacking!!!

I also agree that Snetterton probably isn’t the first choice for a lower powered bike. That’s not to say that fun can’t be had

When all is said and done, I fancy doing a Brands Indy Evening session sometime soon on my SV … anyone up for that?

edit:

Looks like there are a few evening sessions on several days in the first couple of weeks of July (Focused Events) anyone up for it??
Old 23-06-06, 08:14 AM   #4
thor

I'm up for Brands!

Yeah I liked overtaking the more expensive bikes with the little SV. I had race tyres on so corners were easy.
Old 23-06-06, 08:26 AM   #5
Skip
Mega Poster

I am up for Brands too - I was wondering what would be a good circuit to do next - most of those ones are nearly full though and I am too poor to book it until the end of next week! Will check back then...
Old 23-06-06, 09:08 AM   #6
chunkytfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
I had performance friction race pads in there, and braided lines but they were still very lacking!!!
B*ll*cks!!

My guess would be you've had the PF pads in for a while and they are knackered. PF pads are not road pads they are Race pads and as such they offer a very good braking performance but not for long. IF you've been using them on the road for a while they will be knackered. Take em out and if the pad material is shiney then bin em and get a set of OE ones for the road and PF one for the track
Old 23-06-06, 09:25 AM   #7
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkytfg
Quote:
I had performance friction race pads in there, and braided lines but they were still very lacking!!!
B*ll*cks!!

My guess would be you've had the PF pads in for a while and they are knackered. PF pads are not road pads they are Race pads and as such they offer a very good braking performance but not for long. IF you've been using them on the road for a while they will be knackered. Take em out and if the pad material is shiney then bin em and get a set of OE ones for the road and PF one for the track
Ahh you sound just the man to ask! I want to improve my brakes for the odd trackday but do mostly road work and dont want to be changing pads all the time, any ideas what best to use as a compromise?
Old 23-06-06, 10:02 AM   #8
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkytfg
Quote:
B*ll*cks!!

Ouch!!!

FYI I did exactly that!!!

When I bought the bike it had been used as a track bike. It had the (almost new) PF pads in there. As soon as I got the bike (within the first few days anyway) I realised this, so I bought some standard EBC ones and put them straight in there as it was being used as a road bike now.

Knowing the PFs were track pads (and I’ve raced on PF pads for years!) I took my road EBCs out and put them back in for my track session.

So your presumptions were incorrect I am afraid, IMHO the brakes are just lacking!!!

Skip - EBC HH pads are a good compromise pad. But why compromise when they only take 10 mins to change?

All - We will have a look at spaces available at Brands next week then ... probably best to make a new post ... I'll do so now