SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-09-07, 01:31 PM   #1
Grinch

Default Classic Bikes

Would you ever consider owning a classic bike, or would you consider it something to scary? My old man had a Norton Dominator so I was looking at those, though this is nothing 100% from me, more a wandering mind. Now as I understand the gear select is on the right and 3 down 1 up? Maybe I could find one and maybe someone let me ride it, just to cool my interested mind.
I have no idea where this is going or what I want, it just a thought.
Old 04-09-07, 01:52 PM   #2
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: Classic Bikes

Often fancy a classic bike to tinker with, for slow (and short) rides out for coffee/fish and chips/ice cream trips. Also if it's a spare/other bike you don't mind it being off the road whilst you tinker with it. Been mulling the idea over in my head a little, maybe in a year or two.
Old 04-09-07, 02:00 PM   #3
kwak zzr

i'd have a CBX1000
Old 04-09-07, 02:05 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Yes I would, my dads got three at home. He keeps threatening to let me ride one...

Its motorcycling from a different era and its part of the history of it. I quite like some of the older machines... I'd like Brough Superior or a Vincent Black Shadow would be quite tasty as well.

Yep Grinch, gears are on the wrong side and work on a "racing pattern" but if you go back to the really old stuff it can be any old mixture of levers and controls, my dad has a BSA 250cc single, from I think 1923, the throttle is a thumb lever on the right hand handlebar, the gear change is a hand lever on the fuel tank... everythings back to front.

You cant really call yourself a motorcyclist according to my dad till you've mastered a cold start of something like his Matchless G80... without it breaking the kick start spring or bending your leg the wrong way...

This is his Matchless

1948, 3 speed, 500cc single, has a twistgrip throttle but as you said, rear brake and gear lever are reversed as is the shift pattern ( just like a modern race bike. ) No rear suspension though...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 02:07 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

I wouldnt mind an old Zthou, in the green and yellow colour sceme
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 02:08 PM   #6
tricky

Restored an 1981 Fantic Trials a couple of years ago.
Is 25 years old enough to class as classic ?

I would quite like an old British bike to tinker with.
Old 04-09-07, 02:11 PM   #7
Steve_God
Mega Poster

I wouldn't mind giving a Curvy SV a try... they're old! lol

To the topic, I'd like to try a REALLY old bike, but never want to own one. Not practical, not fast, nothing 'special', just old.
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 02:17 PM   #8
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
1948, 3 speed, 500cc single, has a twistgrip throttle but as you said, rear brake and gear lever are reversed as is the shift pattern ( just like a modern race bike. ) No rear suspension though...
Three speed? There's something wrong there... The grease-filled Burman CP 'box should be one up, three down pattern.

The gear/rear brake pedals aren't reversed: they are on modern bikes!
Old 04-09-07, 02:36 PM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzyb View Post
Three speed? There's something wrong there... The grease-filled Burman CP 'box should be one up, three down pattern.

The gear/rear brake pedals aren't reversed: they are on modern bikes!
I suspect you're right I cant exactly remember what dad said, I was to busy laughing at having no suspension on the rear

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 02:37 PM   #10
Grinch

Ain't that what the big springs on the seat are for?