SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-07-12, 06:50 PM   #1
Joe Marcon

Default Wiring Curvy LED tail-brake light with indicators?

I have plugged the new led light in so brake light works . But i have two cables not connected which are the built in turn signals . How do i make them work ? And what resistors ? Thanks
Old 13-07-12, 07:23 PM   #2
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sv650 curvy rear led brake light with idicators

Apart from being pretty much invisible I'm pretty sure built in indicators are now illegal.

However a quick search will tell you everything you need to know about resistors for LED indicators.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-12, 07:56 PM   #3
Joe Marcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
Apart from being pretty much invisible I'm pretty sure built in indicators are now illegal.

However a quick search will tell you everything you need to know about resistors for LED indicators.
I there illegal, but im getting a high level exhaust so will be hitting indicator . Theres 2 wires coming from unit . Which 1 is for left and 1 for right . Not sure which resistors will do it or wiring it
Old 13-07-12, 10:05 PM   #4
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Marcon View Post
Theres 2 wires coming from unit . Which 1 is for left and 1 for right .
Trial and error - if you find it's not one, then it's the other . You won't do any harm.

If you've still got bulbs in the front just try connecting your LED's. There might still be enough draw to stop the quick flashing. If not there's different ways of sorting it - well documented on here.

I won't go into the merits of fitting these units as you seem to know the score but are you sure your high level exhaust will interfere with the standard indies? If the exhaust is designed for the SV they usually seem to be OK.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-12, 10:16 PM   #5
Joe Marcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamSV View Post
Trial and error - if you find it's not one, then it's the other . You won't do any harm.

If you've still got bulbs in the front just try connecting your LED's. There might still be enough draw to stop the quick flashing. If not there's different ways of sorting it - well documented on here.

I won't go into the merits of fitting these units as you seem to know the score but are you sure your high level exhaust will interfere with the standard indies? If the exhaust is designed for the SV they usually seem to be OK.
Certain resistors i need ? Or certain watt resistors ?
Yeh made for sv curvy so exhaust should be fine then
Old 13-07-12, 10:19 PM   #6
Joe Marcon

I placed the wire from led tail light into the indicator plug and led indicator came on but was solid and not flashing
Old 13-07-12, 11:46 PM   #7
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Certain resistors i need ? Or certain watt resistors ?
I'd go for a flasher relay myself rather than resistors. However, I've never fitted LED indicators so one of us is going to have to do a search and my vote is for you to do it . Search on "Flasher Relay" and all will be revealed.

Quote:
I placed the wire from led tail light into the indicator plug and led indicator came on but was solid and not flashing
Is the rest of the light unit wired up and functioning (i.e. rear light/brake light)? Is there a spare earth lurking somewhere looking for a home?
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-12, 12:12 AM   #8
Joe Marcon

Rear light works . But dont have built in indies wired up . Have no clue on this . Im carp with electrics .
Old 14-07-12, 07:46 AM   #9
hopper650

The reason why it stayed on is because you connected it to the numberplate light circuit. You will have to find the positive side of the left and right indicator wires. Try and trace the wires from the indicator up to the small plug which will be around the rear seat somewhere. Once you have it, turn one of the indicators on, disconnect the plug and touch one of the wires from the light unit on the positive pin of the indicator circuit. One of the indicators should come on. Check to see if it's the right indicator and if so you will have to splice into the wire to connect it. Then repeat for the other side. The built in indicators share its earth with the taillight led's that's why there is only one wire for each side.
Old 14-07-12, 07:53 AM   #10
Joe Marcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopper650 View Post
The reason why it stayed on is because you connected it to the numberplate light circuit. You will have to find the positive side of the left and right indicator wires. Try and trace the wires from the indicator up to the small plug which will be around the rear seat somewhere. Once you have it, turn one of the indicators on, disconnect the plug and touch one of the wires from the light unit on the positive pin of the indicator circuit. One of the indicators should come on. Check to see if it's the right indicator and if so you will have to splice into the wire to connect it. Then repeat for the other side. The built in indicators share its earth with the taillight led's that's why there is only one wire for each side.
I put the wire into the indy plug and it stayed solid , so i must need relay ?
I didnt put indy into reg plate light