SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-05-17, 11:56 AM   #1
Mr Mouse

Cool Raised handlebars !

Hi,

Has anyone out there in SV world had occasion to raise the handlebars on a curvy ? I'm struggling with wrist & hand pain but love riding my 99 sv650, it's the 1st Jap bike I've owned in 30 years as I'm a bit of a Brit bike & classic Italian man really.

It wasn't a problem when I got the bike a couple of years ago, but the past few months I have struggled to ride it without discomfort. I think it would help if I could get a more upright riding position, I'm an engineer by trade so modifications of the machining variety are not out of the question but I was wondering if there's a straightforward solution before I dive in ?

Regards,

Gerry.

Last edited by Mr Mouse; 07-05-17 at 11:57 AM.
Mr Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 01:06 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Raised handlebars !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mouse View Post
Hi,

Has anyone out there in SV world had occasion to raise the handlebars on a curvy ? I'm struggling with wrist & hand pain but love riding my 99 sv650, it's the 1st Jap bike I've owned in 30 years as I'm a bit of a Brit bike & classic Italian man really.

It wasn't a problem when I got the bike a couple of years ago, but the past few months I have struggled to ride it without discomfort. I think it would help if I could get a more upright riding position, I'm an engineer by trade so modifications of the machining variety are not out of the question but I was wondering if there's a straightforward solution before I dive in ?

Regards,

Gerry.
Loads of folk have

As I posted in your other thread, I don't think a gladius yoke will work for various reasons.

So options

1. Naked curvy yoke, can be hard to find, but a straight swap. Check the SV stuff for sale section on here, I'm sure there was one not so long ago

2. Higher rise clip ons, plenty on Ebay from chinese sellers, but other folk have used them and help. Acossta are another brand I've used, but I've got Gilles Vario Bars on mine, but only because I've got a GSXR front end

3. Get a riser kit from Matt Yokes at 'Coolncomfy.com/' top yokes well made product. https://www.topyokes.uk/

You will also need longer throttle cables, naked SV upper choke cable, and possible a naked SV clutch, but most folk seem to get away with rerouting it. You'll probably need to move the brake fluid reservoir

I'm sure its to do with the angle of the SV clip ons, as mine are almost level and I can ride all day with no hand pain

Curvies have limited clearance, so its a fiddle to get everything to fit without fouling the fairing.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 03:22 PM   #3
Mr Mouse

Interesting comments, thanks for the info. Several months ago I bought a set of Chinese made ones, looking at the pictures posted on the well know auction site I doubted they would do the job as they looked very similar to the standard Suzuki items. I asked all the right questions of the seller & was assured they would do the job, so I ordered them & when they arrived they looked lovely but actually dropped the riding position by around a cm.

Not happy I contacted the seller & eventually got a 50% discount as I thought I might be able to do something with them, I have a couple of ideas & will revisit these I think next !
Mr Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-17, 12:24 PM   #4
Badeye

Hi, I raised mine.

I bought a pait of risers from a Yamaha Virago 535 and then a straight bar off of eBay and longer throttle cables. Made such a difference, I rode my 99 SV from leeds to scotland about 300 miles and felt like I could have easily don't again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike1.jpg (128.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 19-05-17, 02:02 PM   #5
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badeye View Post
Hi, I raised mine.

I bought a pait of risers from a Yamaha Virago 535 and then a straight bar off of eBay and longer throttle cables. Made such a difference, I rode my 99 SV from leeds to scotland about 300 miles and felt like I could have easily don't again.
Nice.Just out of interest would the risers work on my Naked 1999 curvy stock bars?

do they look like any of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...isers&_sacat=0