SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-01-08, 12:23 AM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Bloody M6

Well it took me 4.5 hours to get home from work because some prat with oxy acetylene in the back turned his van over and the M6 was closed for ever.

What is the chance that this guy getting billed for the true cost of the time it took everybody today to travel alternative routes.

If they did, there is no way that the insurers would permit the risk of a repeat.

Conservative estimate of true cost to the country for today shambles would be at lease £10million
Old 25-01-08, 12:29 AM   #2
flibble

Default Re: Bloody M6

Joys of being in a cage, presume you didn't bike it..
Old 25-01-08, 12:47 AM   #3
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Well it took me 4.5 hours to get home from work
how long would it have taken you normally?
Old 25-01-08, 12:52 AM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
how long would it have taken you normally?
1.5-2 and I blame sat navs for most of the problem. Now everbody now wants to use the back roads only I used to know
Old 25-01-08, 12:56 AM   #5
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
1.5-2
Damn annoying. I was on a journey that ended up taking 8 hours instead of the usual 5-6 on Monday because of floods
Old 25-01-08, 05:44 AM   #6
glsuk1970

Depressing, isn't it. I'll be traveling from Milton Keynes back home to North Wales later today and I'm not looking forward to it, Friday afternoon + M6 =

I've even started using the toll road to get around Brum, even though the scallys have put the price up another 50p! £4.50 for a car now, but still better than potentially adding another hour or so to my journey.
Old 25-01-08, 08:11 AM   #7
Pedro68

I got caught up in that yesterday ... on my way home from work, where I normally turn into a side road that leads directly into the services ... police had parked their vehicles across the slip road though ... no traffic in either direction (apparently it was closed between J18 and 19). So even on a bike, I'd have had to take a detour ... but thankfully the A49 heading towards Warrington wasn't too bad considering. Although it did take me 2 hours rather than the customary hour + 15 mins to get home.

gls I hope ya journey is smooth n swift M6 on Friday afternoons can be a right royal pain in the a$$! You even kid yourself into thinking if you leave early you'll miss the traffic ... but that's exactly what thousands of other motorists are thinking ... and do ... and you get caught up with them.
Old 25-01-08, 08:39 AM   #8
DanDare

Does this mean no-one is allowed to take Oxy-acetylene in the back of their vans now?

So someone has had an accident, how do you know it wasn't serious and someone was injured or worse?

It could you or your a member of your family next time, how would feel if every one you held up just thought what you have?
Old 25-01-08, 09:57 AM   #9
Alpinestarhero

My freind has been taking up to 3 hours to do a 20 mile journey to uni in his car; I do 24 miles, on mostly the same route, and at worst it takes me an hour and 20 minutes

Matt
Old 25-01-08, 10:13 AM   #10
jimmy__riddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare View Post
Does this mean no-one is allowed to take Oxy-acetylene in the back of their vans now?

So someone has had an accident, how do you know it wasn't serious and someone was injured or worse?

It could you or your a member of your family next time, how would feel if every one you held up just thought what you have?
I agree, if you come off your bike and need air lifting away, would you want to be charged by everyone waiting/going alternative routes?