SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-05-17, 09:30 AM   #161
svbmx

Default Re: SVBMX Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger View Post
You should be able to flat and polish it to a decent finish right?
Yeah i reckon so. I've had bike frames powder coated metallic/gloss by the same guy in the past, and tbh the finish is excellent. but yeah, a bit of additional polishing will help for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
That looks great. Fantastic work.

Question though - is it going to rub against your knees when riding? The bend running along the top looks like it might end up in a slightly awkward position.
Thanks. I have sat in riding position on the bike with the fairings attached and the bend didn't appear to be an issue. The fairing does hug the frame closely nearer the seat. I looked back to find a photo of me sitting on the bike, it shows my knee slightly above that part of the frame so i think il be ok.

Good shout though.
Old 18-05-17, 12:22 PM   #162
svbmx

The fairing is coming along nicely. Just a couple mounting brackets and rivnuts to add then off for powder coat.

Not been able to do much work on the fairing since the weekend but in the mean time I've done a quick before and after (photoshop). Not my best work but gives an idea!

Thoughts on the livery? Any suggestions?

Old 18-05-17, 12:24 PM   #163
SheepShagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by svbmx View Post
The fairing is coming along nicely. Just a couple mounting brackets and rivnuts to add then off for powder coat.

Not been able to do much work on the fairing since the weekend but in the mean time I've done a quick before and after (photoshop). Not my best work but gives an idea!

Thoughts on the livery? Any suggestions?

Sterling work that man. Massive kudos. Ever start this as a service, i'm calling dibs

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-17, 12:27 PM   #164
DomP

Default Re: SVBMX Build Thread (99 SV650)

Looks good, could the front end curve around more rather than tight bends? Cut back to follow the line of the frame where it goes down towards the swing arm pivot. Don't take that as criticism just suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 18-05-17, 12:47 PM   #165
svbmx

Quote:
Sterling work that man. Massive kudos. Ever start this as a service, i'm calling dibs
Thanks man. Ha, sure thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomP View Post
Looks good, could the front end curve around more rather than tight bends? Cut back to follow the line of the frame where it goes down towards the swing arm pivot. Don't take that as criticism just suggestions.
The front end was originally going to be a bit more curved but I came to prefer the sharper lines so went with it. The area towards the rear is slightly overlapping the frame because its covering the trellis opening. But i see what you're saying. I'll sketch something up, see what i can do to align the fairing with the frame line nicely and still cover the trellis opening.

Suggestion appreciated
Old 18-05-17, 12:49 PM   #166
SheepShagger

How many hours effort would you say to do this?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-17, 01:08 PM   #167
Mega Poster

Unsure, will reserve judgement until it's complete. I think it's screaming out for a beefier swingarm...or a single sided swinger....later VFR750 for shock compatibility (94-97)
Old 18-05-17, 10:54 PM   #168
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svbmx View Post
From this angle it looks like the fairing finishes to far back covering the frame, and the curvey frame is one of the best parts of the bike. Not sure what other angles look like?

As for the livery I'm not sure on the taper, but then without it I'm not sure how it would look as it wouldn't go anywhere so its growing on me. The angle at the front might be a little sharp for me but if you like the angle then go for it.

However you do it this is a fine looking machine. Very impressed!

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-17, 10:57 PM   #169
Tomthetimthing

Bike looks absolutely incredible! Keep up the good work.

One thing that worries me is that if, for whatever reason you have a crash, is the sheet aluminium likely to cut through flesh? Was wondering about bending edges inwards or adding a bead?

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Tomthetimthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-17, 09:47 AM   #170
svbmx

Quote:
How many hours effort would you say to do this?
Not including the cardboard phase, I'd say around 6-7 hours to get to the stage of being ready for powder coating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
Unsure, will reserve judgement until it's complete. I think it's screaming out for a beefier swingarm...or a single sided swinger....later VFR750 for shock compatibility (94-97)
I seriously considered a single sided swingarm before going with the B12 wheel. I've seen a few done but personally don't think it suits the sv. I may however add a brace to the sv swinger, and then a small fender attached to that. Perhaps that will make it look a bit "beefier"

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
From this angle it looks like the fairing finishes to far back covering the frame, and the curvey frame is one of the best parts of the bike. Not sure what other angles look like?

As for the livery I'm not sure on the taper, but then without it I'm not sure how it would look as it wouldn't go anywhere so its growing on me. The angle at the front might be a little sharp for me but if you like the angle then go for it.

However you do it this is a fine looking machine. Very impressed!
Thank you very much. I tried a few variations whilst designing the fairing, a couple that left the trellis on show but it always came out looking a little incomplete. Looking more like a over-sized belly pan rather than a fairing.

I understand/appreciate that there are stand out features that make the curvy what it is but to me its my love of how it rides, its so much fun i just needed to improve its looks. Some will disagree and like it as it is, but i wanted to love the look of it as much as i love to ride it. And I also like to do things a bit different!!

To give an example of past endeavours, before i bought the sv, my last project was a bamboo/carbon fibre racer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomthetimthing View Post
Bike looks absolutely incredible! Keep up the good work.

One thing that worries me is that if, for whatever reason you have a crash, is the sheet aluminium likely to cut through flesh? Was wondering about bending edges inwards or adding a bead?
Thanks It should be ok, there's been plenty of aluminium fairings made before. That being said, il be making sure all edges are smoothed and rounded off before powder coating. And I'd like to think my kevlar jeans and leather or textile jacket would do its job.