SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-10-12, 04:52 PM   #1
Scythe92

Default Dilemma - SV track bike or Street Triple?

Got a dilemma on my hands.

I'm getting money saved up, the original plan was to sell my SV and get a Street Triple R for my 21st birthday in March.

However, I wouldn't mind looking into racing in Minitwins, and I think it might be a good time to do it, I may never be able to do it again. In brief, instead of buying a Striple, keep my current SV and buy a minitwin track bike, get a few track days under my belts in 2013 and race in minitwins after uni in Summer 2014.

What would you do and why?

Last edited by Scythe92; 26-10-12 at 04:54 PM.
Old 26-10-12, 05:20 PM   #2
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Go the mini twin route. I keep thinking about getting a Ducati 848 but everytime I do I realise that the SV is great fun and although the triple will be great, it won't be as much fun as a season in mini twins.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-12, 05:28 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Dilemma - Track bike or Street Triple?

street....
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-12, 05:44 PM   #4
Copo

Minitwin! Get one cheapish at his time of year and give it a good strip down over winter.

I know it's expensive, but if you can afford it get on a European trackday early next year and then get stuck into racing

It's unlikely you'll be the slowest out there if you race with Wirral 100, 3 Sisters, Darley Moor or Aintree.
Old 26-10-12, 06:01 PM   #5
speedyandypandy

Be a man, lot of people talk about, few step up and do it.

Racing because most other sports only require 1 ball.
Old 26-10-12, 06:13 PM   #6
Scythe92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copo View Post
Minitwin! Get one cheapish at his time of year and give it a good strip down over winter.

I know it's expensive, but if you can afford it get on a European trackday early next year and then get stuck into racing

It's unlikely you'll be the slowest out there if you race with Wirral 100, 3 Sisters, Darley Moor or Aintree.
Thanks Copo, I was looking for a club level minitwin class for around Crewe but couldn't find one. I live just outside of Crewe myself. Is there any website where I can look at them?

I've been looking at a trailer and that for a bike. I'm aiming to get a few track days in early next year on my road bike before deciding to commit to a track bike / minitwins.

I've had comments on my riding that I'm pretty damn quick for the road from riders of much faster bikes and they're not keeping up in the corners. I want to get onto the track where my riding can develop in a safer environment, I don't want to feel like I'm pushing it on the road.
Old 26-10-12, 06:19 PM   #7
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Well I have a street so I'm biased....Go the minitwin route, there'll still be streets around for a while yet in one guise or another or second hand when you decide to jack mini's in/or can afford a street and the mini twin.

Or if Minitwin becomes expensive, get a triple for the road and do trackdays on it.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-12, 06:26 PM   #8
Copo

Most clubs run a minitwin class now.
I only started this year and I raced with Wirral 100 at Oulton and Anglesey (twice) and a couple of other clubs at Oulton and one race at Brands Hatch.

You could go on the Wirral 100 website but there's not really much info on there.

Get yourself on a trackday. There'll be no going back after that! I'll be racing again next year and you're welcome to come along and have a look, unfortunately it won't be until March
Old 26-10-12, 06:31 PM   #9
Scythe92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copo View Post
Most clubs run a minitwin class now.
I only started this year and I raced with Wirral 100 at Oulton and Anglesey (twice) and a couple of other clubs at Oulton and one race at Brands Hatch.

You could go on the Wirral 100 website but there's not really much info on there.

Get yourself on a trackday. There'll be no going back after that! I'll be racing again next year and you're welcome to come along and have a look, unfortunately it won't be until March
It's my 21st birthday in March and going to book myself onto Ron Haslam's race school at a nice starting point for my birthday treat

I'll pop along to get a bit of an inside look to see what goes on at a meeting, thanks for the offer
Old 26-10-12, 06:45 PM   #10
Copo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe92 View Post
It's my 21st birthday in March and going to book myself onto Ron Haslam's race school at a nice starting point for my birthday treat
Should be fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe92 View Post
I'll pop along to get a bit of an inside look to see what goes on at a meeting, thanks for the offer
Lots of tea drinking