SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-02-17, 08:07 AM   #61
Blapper

Default Re: Project: 500GP

I would talk to TCR about it. If they are a kosher outfit somebody there will know summat. If not, it may be trial and error. I cant see how you can double the spring rate without having a front end that feels like it's solid personally.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-17, 04:10 PM   #62
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Hello SH, It doesn't matter if you gave different settings in each fork leg...in use, they work as a unit/average out.
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-17, 08:52 PM   #63
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

I've sent TCR an email about it so will hopefully get a reply soon. I was thinking a little more about the difference in oil level in each fork and was considering the difference in volume taken up by the new rod compared to the one in the left fork as the left fork takes up less volume. But even with that my calculations still don't make each fork equal. My thinking with the oil is to use the Yamaha level and air gap on both forks. I'll have to think about it.

I understand about it working as a unit as after all Yamaha and others are happy supplying the bikes with just the single fork spring. And I'm sure you'll never get two sets of forks exactly the same as there are tolerances. But if I could reduce that tolerance or improve on the design surely that would add to the 500GP prototype idea of the build...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-17, 09:14 PM   #64
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Being a bit left field with this SH,
You possibly could transplant the left hand stanchion and internals into the right.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-17, 09:48 PM   #65
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

As I do have a spare set of forks I did think about using the other left on the right, but then that would leave me with the mudguard mounts on the wrong side and more troubling no caliper mount...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 07-02-17, 12:23 PM   #66
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
As I do have a spare set of forks I did think about using the other left on the right, but then that would leave me with the mudguard mounts on the wrong side and more troubling no caliper mount...
I was more thinking of using the right hand bottom. And the left hand stanchion and internals

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 06:16 PM   #67
Blapper

So how will you deal with double the spring rate or are you 25 stone?
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 09:13 PM   #68
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
I was more thinking of using the right hand bottom. And the left hand stanchion and internals
I see, but no. The difference is in the fork lower not the stanchion.

But I think I've decided on what to do with this. Updates to follow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
So how will you deal with double the spring rate or are you 25 stone?
Oi I resemble that!

Not sure of the spring rate but I can imagine that having the other spring in there will firm it up a bit and according to the reviews improve the handling a bit. The thing to remember is that this bike was never really intended for a full size European. Plus as I'm improving the rear I might as well have a go at the front.

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 08-02-17, 01:11 AM   #69
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

I've gotten a little out of sequence and a bit behind with updates as I'd did something else before the forks. And that was to stick the swing arm and shock into the frame.

A fairly simple arrangement, one bolt on the top, one on the bottom of the shock and of course the spindle. Liberal amounts of grease was used on the moving parts. The shock has a rose joint arrangement at the top and bottom mounts, so the grease is sealed in with an o-ring and spacer arrangement.

The shock reservoir is temporarily in place held on with zip ties until I get further on with the build and finalise its placement.

As an interesting thing the lower mount is not a bolt, its just a pin secured with a split pin. I did think about changing it for a nut and bolt, but quite like this unusual arrangement so I will keep it.

So I now hit the problems as nothing is ever simple. The first being I noticed there was some side to side movement of the shock body at the lower mount. The whole shock moves, and that movement was not caused by the rose joints. So out it came and the measurements started. The original mount is about 20mm wide, the mount on this swing arm is 22mm wide. Now to prove it I slipped a copper washer in as a spacer which basically solved the movement problem. However this is not a very elegant solution, I have a better one in the pipeline so that's not the big problem.

The big problem is the swing arm movement on the bearings. Outside of the frame the bearings rotate fine. In the frame they rotate fine. With the spindle in they rotate fine. Torqued up however they are stiff and have notches and I'm not happy. I loosened the nut off and its fine, tighten up and so does the movement. So the implication if I'm right is that the frame is pressing on the bearings under load. So what are my options?

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 08-02-17, 01:29 AM   #70
Bibio
Mega Poster

inner spacer missing?

looking good SH
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote