SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-04-08, 09:19 AM   #1
metalmonkey

Default Road legal off road bike

I thinking I want one, so okay whats a good one to go for, how much do they cost? It does matter if its a bit fo rat either. Ideal I want cheap one, that if I crash I don't care about.

There is a good reason behind this, I'm going to Belgium for a rally next month if they don't cost too much I'll get one. Besides its mega fun. Oh bear in mind I'm a short a*rse so take that into account.
Old 27-04-08, 09:39 AM   #2
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Road legal off road bike

Hi Bluethunder,
Couple of points. The Rally is about 250-300 miles on the day, and you will only get a 20 minute service every 60 miles or so, it's a long way to go, and an awful lot of work, to have a mechanical and go out of the event early. Make sure whatever you are riding is mechanically sound, and that goes above fast.....

If you are going to use your rally bike for the Recce that means another two whole days of riding. Again, make sure it is up to it.

The Rally this year is based in the same area we used in 2006. From memory there are some extremely fast stretches (easily over 100mph) and some stretches of "off road" over 1km long. Don't let these put you off, they are big enough for a rally car to get up so you don't need a proper off road bike, and if you turn up on something like a DR350 you are going to get awfully frustrated on the fast bits....

The best all round bike for a first timer (no offence) is something along the lines of a Dominator/Yamaha XT. Fast enough to be interesting, forgiving enough to get you out of trouble. I know someone who turned up for the first time on a Thunderace, scared themselves ****less and came last. I also know someone who turned up first time on a road legal enduro bike (me) and blew the engine on the second stage. Somewhere in between is best, but whatever it is you will have to much on your mind to want to worry about the bike. Good luck.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-08, 09:45 AM   #3
metalmonkey

The plan is to use my SV with the lowers off, the guys from club said I would be okay on that, but I though it might be worth while trying for a cheap off-road bike.

I'm really don't care about winning or even trying to win, I'm not doing it for that at all, for my its an experince to learn more about riding and having fun.

How would an XT set me back? I will put my tools in with the gear hopefully it won't be needed.

Did you get the PM I sent you?
Old 27-04-08, 09:46 AM   #4
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Good bikes for shortarses (I should know being one) are the yamaha serrow or Honda CR230F. Honda is bomb proof, will run all day without needing attention and often comes road legal already, rudimentary speedo, horn etc. Leccy start as well, worth weight in gold. Bad news is finding one, bit like hens teeth. Usually one on ebay every other week, but fetch good money.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-08, 04:25 PM   #5
sv650k4

also try and get a 4 stroker aswell as it will be alot more relieable than a 2 stroke!

also depens on what you mean by an off road but road legal bike do you mean a full off road bike but one that has been converted 2 a legal road bike ie...lights and stuff like that?

why not just go for an enduro bike like the KLR etc.....
Old 28-04-08, 01:40 PM   #6
Tomcat

I have an xt225 serow. It is a brilliant little bike, can get where you want to get unless you want to do it over 65mph, is perfect for a short ar$e and affordable, not huge on the street cred but anyone who knows off road/road legal bikes recognises its appeal