SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-12-08, 05:07 PM   #1
Dangerous Dave

Default In-Laws

Does anyone else get the feeling your in-laws look at you and think their son/daughter could have done better?

Father-in-law to be one day is an ex-army officer, and believes there is no greater path to be taken in life. He doesn't believe "real soldiers" work from the sea and the Royal Marines are just the Navy's little police force. Other than winding me up with these little comments he also has little interest in family functions if it is not solely his family.
Old 08-12-08, 05:12 PM   #2
Sean_C

Default Re: In-Laws

Yes, definitely. My lady's Dad detests bikes (so we got off to a great start...) and I don't think he really likes me too much.. Same with her sister, who is incredibly bossy and self important, but not actually that good at much. I have great fun winding her up. They both refer to me as "him".

Her mum though is brilliant, and actually understands that we're in it for the long run.
Old 08-12-08, 05:24 PM   #3
Lozzo

I found the best way to avoid those sort of comments is simply to ignore the people making them. They soon stfu.

My ex-F-I-L was a decent bloke, so is my younger three kids grandad, but my own daughter's grandfather was the dictionary definition of "A c0ck" (didn't help that he was a Detective Inspector and I was a bit of a scrote in my youth)
Old 08-12-08, 05:32 PM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

yes, i'm sure the in-laws look down their noses at me..strong catholics, father the retired teacher of physics in a private school, mother, the daughter of an ex mayor of Halifax...

gah.. even his god father is a catholic priest!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 05:36 PM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

Well my mother in law was pushing up daisys and the FIL was an alcoholic living in a salvation army hostel when I married Lynne. He could not make any comments, apart from swearing at the waiter who offered him wine with his lunch on our wedding day
Old 08-12-08, 05:41 PM   #6
wyrdness

I get on really well with Mrs Wyrdness' dad. We go to the pub, gigs etc. together. I think that I'm his role-model as he's started dressing like me. We have to be careful that we don't go out wearing the same t-shirts!
Old 08-12-08, 05:43 PM   #7
amnesia

I am lucky with my soon to be outlaws. They are both great, and my sarcastic sense of humour is not lost on them.

One of the first times I met them, Dave took me to The Sloop (aka the 'office') for 'the chat' to make sure my intentions towards his daughter were honerable.

Well...of course they are...
Old 08-12-08, 05:43 PM   #8
sv-robo

My other halfs father is so miserable he makes Victor Meldrew look like a court jester...could'nt really give a flying f*** what he thinks of me tbh,he probably hates me ,but then again he hates everyone.....it's her mum i feel sorry for.
Old 08-12-08, 05:50 PM   #9
600+

gf parents are great and I think they really like me

my parents towards the gf though.....lets say they are polite and keep to the formalities
Old 08-12-08, 06:17 PM   #10
Giggsy

My gf parents love me can't blame them though i'm a loveable sort of fella!!!