SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-06-10, 12:54 PM   #1
Ernst

Default Dud rectifier :)

I bought my first SV650 in a shop. My first Suzuki since 7 Guzzi's because I need a reliable bike
Guess what, on my way home from the shop the bike stoppped, battery dead.
The guy in the shop had told me he had replaced the rectifier because it was broken.
Now the bike is back in the shop and I have sent him some webpages with info how to solve the rectifier probs on an SV650.

As a guzzi rider I am quite experienced with electrical probs, so I will keep a close watch on it!

Anyway I can not really say much about my new motor because I have only used it 100 km's. (my first impression is : "light, fast, and easy" but I am used to a guzzi 1100 sport)

Greetz from Barcelona.

Last edited by Ernst; 24-06-10 at 01:09 PM.
Old 24-06-10, 11:07 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rectifier :)

Hi Ernst!

Sadly regulator-rectifier failures are something that SVs have done perhaps a bit more than some bikes, but it needs to seen in perspective - most people by a huge degree have had no problems.

There's quite a bit of info on here about SV charging systems - do a search and you'll have lots to read!
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-10, 06:21 AM   #3
Ernst

Default Re: Rectifier :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Hi Ernst!

Sadly regulator-rectifier failures are something that SVs have done perhaps a bit more than some bikes, but it needs to seen in perspective - most people by a huge degree have had no problems.

There's quite a bit of info on here about SV charging systems - do a search and you'll have lots to read!
Thank you Sid, I know there is a lot to read. Thats why there is a smilie in the subject

The funny thing is that I deliberately bought a japanese bike, being a guzzi adept, because of reliability. Guzzi´s are hard to find here in spain anyway.
And on my way home after the purchase it brakes down.
Hopefully the shop owner will replace the recitfier (if that is the problem) with a honda or yamaha regulator like I adviced him. ( after reading here!)

Soon I will tell my experiences here with the SV650 and post some photos of the spanish landscape with a red Suzuki.